Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB Sl/E charging issues.

mikeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 310
Hi
I have recently bought a 11/78 VB SL/E 4.2 with e/windows and locking.
Car is 100% original , 125K with the original Uniroyal in the boot. Nor real rust apart from sitting under a tarp for 15 years. It is in Atlantis blue with Light
blue velour. The only thing I will do at this point is re paint it as the colour has gone off. Doo need a spare wheel well --- are they available ??? Rare spares dont have them.

My problem is that when I start it I get a very high charge rate , 17 volts+ indicated on the guage --- though I don't really trust it. , and then the charge drops
and the load on the altenator drops as well ( audible). If I try the windows at high charge they work OK at low charge very slowly. Similarly the fuel gauge reads differently.

Is there a problem with the regulators internally in the altenator or could it be a relay problem. I have heard clicking , LHS firewall but can't locate it.

Any ideas???

I grew up with these cars ---- my Dad was a director of Sydney Atkinsons in Perth. I remember their launch and indeed the smell of a new one. Dad's company car was a white SL/E with dark red interior.
Going to school in that car --- I was the coolest kid in class. He also had a shadow tone VC Beige and Bronze. Memories

Thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Check the battery voltage with a multimeter to make sure the guage is accurate. If it is overcharging it could be a faulty regulator or a bad connection on one of your earth or power wires. If the sense wire from the alternator is getting a bad connection it will not read correct battery voltage and therefor overcharge it.

mikeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 310
Hi There --- voltage --- plenty of that !! 22 volts at the battery , 17 on off vharge . So I think my regulator is cactus .

Bosch 55 amp type with an external regulator --- any ideas on sourcing a replacement regulator -- ebay ??

Cheers
Mike

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
any repco or bursons will be able to supply a new reg for a bosch alternator
very quick and easy to replace too. Just remember to disconnect the batter whilst replacing the reg.

connors

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT Commodore VK SS Group 3
Hey Mate,

What the guys said above or if in doubt take it to a "Battery World" or a battery shop where they will check the charge and battery condition, for free. Also nothing to do with charging but it wont hurt to spray your windows rubbers/runners with a little silicon spray. After sitting for so long they might be a little dry and it helps speed and smooth window operation. (Obviously if you were having voltage problems they would be slow but this just helps.)

Cheers