Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB SLE manual?

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
This Question is probly best answered by SL/ENUT( or any1 that knows ) Was there any factory VB SLE manuals made?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I used to work at the Dandenong plant on the production line with these models (VB an VC) and come to think of it I never saw a manual SLE.
The SLE came standard with the 4.2lt and Tri Matic auto. Options were the 308 and the Turbo Hydromatic 350 or 400 and cental locking.
I'm sure it was only the base model that came standard with a 4 speed manual, with an optional Tri matic auto and engine upgrade.
Jeez, that takes me back........

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Yes, there is two different VB SL/E manuals, 253 powered or 308 powered.
The 253 powered ones are 307 packs, the 308 ones, 308 pack.
I have sitting here in my garage a 308 pack VB SL/E. These are extremely rare, only about 100 built, how many survive? Thats another question.

Not sure on how many 307 packs were built and survive.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Ok,,, cause I came across this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 912

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
I came across an original VB SL/E 253 manual a few years back while I was on my quest for a SL/E. Unfortunaltely it had been mistreated and was a dog. Haven't seen one since and I am regularly on the look out..

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I used to work at the Dandenong plant on the production line with these models (VB an VC) and come to think of it I never saw a manual SLE.
The SLE came standard with the 4.2lt and Tri Matic auto. Options were the 308 and the Turbo Hydromatic 350 or 400 and cental locking.
I'm sure it was only the base model that came standard with a 4 speed manual, with an optional Tri matic auto and engine upgrade.
Jeez, that takes me back........

well..you missed the 2 VBs that I had built as GMH company cars there ...even watched them being built :)
a 308 pack - L31 m21 4 speed and after that (coz i could not get the order thru for another as VC was about to start) a 253 M20 version

here is the 308 version....
VBsl_eV8.jpg

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
well..you missed the 2 VBs that I had built as GMH company cars there ...even watched them being built :)
a 308 pack - L31 m21 4 speed and after that (coz i could not get the order thru for another as VC was about to start) a 253 M20 version

here is the 308 version....
VBsl_eV8.jpg

Haha well done. Maybe I was away on that day. lol. I started there just at the end of the LX Torana run.
Do you know if the Police variant was a manual or an automatic? I know it was the 308. I can't remember.

You know, they used to say there that the strongest part on thoses cars was the front tow hitch. :rofl2:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
VBs generally weren't used as police cars; at that time Falcons with their 5.8 litre Cleveland motor was the thing to have. When Ford dropped the V8 and Holden developed a specific police pack (BT1) that is when Commodore became the police car of choice.

AFAIK the BTI/9C1 could be had as any engine transmission combo that was going at the time. v8s would have been used for highway patrols, detectives and general duties may have used the 6s.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
VBs generally weren't used as police cars; at that time Falcons with their 5.8 litre Cleveland motor was the thing to have. When Ford dropped the V8 and Holden developed a specific police pack (BT1) that is when Commodore became the police car of choice.

AFAIK the BTI/9C1 could be had as any engine transmission combo that was going at the time. v8s would have been used for highway patrols, detectives and general duties may have used the 6s.

Aaaah. It must have been the VC, as I can remember talking to the test driver about them.
Sheeeeez......it's along time ago and I think i'm doing pretty well with my memory. LOL.