Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb slx v8 conversion

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Probably got vh sl/x parts slapped on it...a lot can happen in 4 decades.

Agree with others easiest/cheapest way to do it would be mildly modded efi 304 conversion

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
With no power steer nor aircon makes the conversion easier (well some what), NZ didn't sell too many V8's compared to 6 cylinders & the 4 cylinder cars back in the day. Fuel was still expensive then, carless days were in operation nationally thanks to the fuel crisis in the middle east, (the 4 cylinder cars were less fuel efficient than the 6 cylinder cars, go figure)~!.

I agree with "delcowizzid", a VN-VS injected Holden 5.0ltr V8 maybe a more cost effective option, plenty of those sold in NZ (manual option not so much as I think it would have had to be an SS?????). There is a very detail blog which is worth a read on fitting an injected 5.0ltr into a 1st generation Commodore. "vkberlina" http://members.westnet.com.au/scottl/.

I had a mate that worked for GM in Wellington as an engineering cadet in the early 80's (Trentham assembly plant), & they did some interesting builds ie with GTS models (which weren't sold in Aus so don't get hooked up on badges, remember it was 35-40 years ago).

Good luck....

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
The SL/X VH badge font is very different to the VB font, would be easy to tell the difference especially if both types are on the car.

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
05C736F0-25A1-418F-BF9E-ABD0D89B1376.jpeg

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Looks like a vh slx badge I reckon
Seems odd though it was one owner for over 30 years and he was already 50 when he bought it new wouldn’t have thought he would have changed the badges and nothing else.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
On that pic:

Commodore badge = VB (or VC)

SL/X badge = VH

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Ok so I have decided to go with the holden engine, i managed to pick up a complete vn v8 diff so far and am looking to either shorten the whole thing or find a vk or vl housing and transfer it and modify the axles.
So now my question is I’m ready to find an engine to rebuild, I’m still pretty keen on the stroker because I want to rebuild anyway and want good low down torque for street driving but will a 308 be good with the factory heads and stroked for the 350hp I’m looking at? Or better to go later model 304 to get the vn heads? Seems like a lot more hassle to use the 304 and convert to carb with needing to Change the k frame for header clearance and the intake manifolds are a lot more expensive etc when I’m not going for huge power.
Also I don’t want a real lumpy sounding cam I’m not a fan of the lumpy idle of the likes of 286 cams etc I much prefer the standard v8 burble so would be looking at a stockish cam.
What’s everybody’s opinions on what I’m wanting to do?
Thanks

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It is a lot easier to get power out of vn vt motor than the 308. The heads are far superior and the block is stronger. Inlet manifolds are readily available to suit the vn vt. Work out how much you are prepared to spend and go from there. My vh before I pulled it apart put out 200 rwkw. 355 vp v8 stroker. I kept the efi. 10.1 compression, Twin throttle body, ported heads, baby cam, tri y extractors, 3'' exhaust, 3.45 vl turbo diff. 4 speed auto. The car was quite economical. 2300 rpm at 100 k. As you will appreciate obtaining power even at these low levels is not cheap.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Custom modifications / fabrications to make things fit / work is costly (unless you do it all yourself....); the more you need the costlier it becomes (obviously). Look at cost versus benefit and way it up; sometimes it is just easier and way cheaper to just buy a model commodore (or whatever) that delivers exactly what you need without the major hassle and expense.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I reckon put a 304 in it. Single plain highrise. You should investigate the efi setups that look like carb (i don't really trust carbs for performance AND economy).
Check out Immortalitys engine in his senator for example. Looks like carb but full EFI