Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB V8 Diff Gears

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Mine is a factory SLE VB 253 and it has the 8 bolt just like a 6cyl and not the 10 bolt as you would expect with a 308.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
What sort of diff do you have atm, Salisbury or Borg warner, 6 cylinder or 10 bolt V8 diff?

Does anyone know what brand the older diffs (Vb- early VK) we all refer to as Salisbury are because aren't the borgwarner brand diffs Salisbury's as well?

just food for thought :p

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
All i know the older Salisbury diffs (VB-VK) are made by GMH

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Does anyone know what brand the older diffs (Vb- early VK) we all refer to as Salisbury are because aren't the borgwarner brand diffs Salisbury's as well?

just food for thought :p

No Borg Warners diffs are called Borg Warners, because they're made by a company called Borg Warner and they are used by a lot of different manufacturers for a variety of different cars (Toyota Coronas, Holdens, Cortinas, Fords, Skylines, Pintaras etc). Not sure exactly why Salisburys are called Salisburys, but as SLENUT said the Holden Salisburys were made by GMH, especially for Holdens.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Salisbury_Differential#Why_Salisbury.3F

Edit: After reading that, "technically" a Borg Warner diff is a Salisbury type diff although they are mostly referred to as Borg Warners.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I thought so, just everyone referring to the early ones as salisbury diffs as if it was a brand confused me a little. Another name for that style of diff - when the bearing and gears are integral with the housing is call 'unitized' i think. And then when the diff will just unbolt, its called a 'Banjo' diff, right? Theres another name for that sort as well.

Wonder why GM stopped making their own diffs.

VCchaser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC BT1
Anyone interested have this........Commodore complete V8 Salisbury 10 bolt disc brake diff recent new crown wheel and pinion 3.55 gears with spool poly main control arm bushes hand brake cable suit VB-VK $450 in Brisbane call 0422 822 546.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
perhaps they were called salisbury diffs because they were made in salisbury, sa? just a thought lol.

anyway, my diff is oval shaped and very dirty! its 3.08 ratios. are diff gears between 8 bolt and 10 bolt interchangeable? probably a dumb question but im fair clueless. also, when changing diff gears on the salisburys do you have to change the pinion gear as well? i may be able to get some 3.55 diff gears for a 10 bolt salisbury cheap but i dont think they come with the pinion gear