Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB-VC Diff upgrade options help.

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hey all, just a quick question.

My diffs on the way out on my 6cyl wagon and i thought id go for an upgrade since im replacing it anyway.

What kind of diff ratio would be in there right now?

And also i plan to do a future 253 or 308 engine upgrade too so i want something that will be strong enough for that.

So yea, just wondering what i should go looking for, and what ratio i should be looking at.

Sorry for the stupid questions :yeah:

Cheers

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
If ur on a budget, I'd go looking for a VK borg warner diff. Make sure u get a wagon one as a sedan diff won't fit ur wagon without modifying the shock mounts. A VL wagon diff would fit to, but the VK diff is slightly narrower. And make sure it's a borg warner diff u buy, not an 8 bolt Salisbury lol.

And for the borg warner to work, you'd need a tailshaft to suit, so get a tailshaft out of a VK wagon with a borg warner diff. :thumbsup:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hey all, just a quick question.

My diffs on the way out on my 6cyl wagon and i thought id go for an upgrade since im replacing it anyway.

What kind of diff ratio would be in there right now?

And also i plan to do a future 253 or 308 engine upgrade too so i want something that will be strong enough for that.

So yea, just wondering what i should go looking for, and what ratio i should be looking at.

Sorry for the stupid questions :yeah:

Cheers

As Danny8 said go the borgwarner

If the car is a 6cyl odds are you have a 3.08

What ratio?? that depends on many things.

What do you want to do with the car? what sort of driving...
Will the engine be stock or modified? If moddified what cam profile.
What gearbox will you run?
What size wheels & tires?

cheers
Scott

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Thanks for the replys guys.

Ill start ringing around for some prices soon.

As for the ratios, ill just get the stock vk diff with whatevers in it for now and worry about the details if i get into any engine work. I just want it as a daily driver/cruiser (once the v8 is in), nothing too out there.

Will the borgwarner be fine with a V8 too when i do the engine swap? Just new tail shaft maybe?

Also what engine/gearbox would you guys recommend? And 253 or 308?

Thanks again guys, all your info is much appreciated.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks for the replys guys.

Ill start ringing around for some prices soon.

As for the ratios, ill just get the stock vk diff with whatevers in it for now and worry about the details if i get into any engine work. I just want it as a daily driver/cruiser (once the v8 is in), nothing too out there.

Will the borgwarner be fine with a V8 too when i do the engine swap? Just new tail shaft maybe?

Also what engine/gearbox would you guys recommend? And 253 or 308?

Thanks again guys, all your info is much appreciated.

Ok

diff wise get a borgwarner out of an 85 VK it will have a ratio of 3.23:1 slightly taller than the VLs 3.45:1. It will give you lower cruising RPM on a daily driver. It will be fine for a standard V8. If you start chasing power a VL turbo or VL V8 28 spline LSD is the way to go. Ratios are pretty available from a variety to borgwarner diffed cars from nissan (pintaras, skylines) commodores (VB to i think VS) variety of falcons. If your chasing big power fit a detroit true track.

As for gearbox I prefer the T5 5 speed but what you need to consider is the RPM drop between gear changes and make sure you dont have to rev the crap out of it to keep in power when changing gear.

Go a 304/308 at the end of the day you cant beat cubes. It will cost the same to do up a 253 as a 304/308 so you might as well start ahead not behind.

cheers
Scott

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Cool thanks again, pretty much got all i need to know.

I was planning on sticking to an auto tho, is there any particular one you recommend? And any easy mods to get the best out of it?

Again, thanks guys, you've been a huge help.

Cheers

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
If I was doing a project with an auto I would explore VN-VS 4 speed autos, also from memory the later ones are computer controlled I dont remember exactly which models.

Definitely stay away from the old traumatic 3 speed auto :)

I would also see what other brands have available in terms of F0rd XR8s & maybe Toyota & nissans with the guys doing 5L conversions to patrols etc.

cheers
Scott

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Yea i think from the S2 VR -> are electronically controlled.

What about a turbo 300?/400? (sorry cant remember what there called) Just remember an old mates monaro had something sounding similar to that.

Ive still got plenty of time to research, wont rush into it half assed. Ive got the interior to keep me busy for now :)

Thanks again