Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB - VC manual steering rack

CUDA71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB - SL - 4.2
Hi guy's - I'm looking at putting a manual steering rack unit into a 1979 VB 253 sedan.
Just wanted to know if I can use a rack from a VH/K or does it need to be from a VB/C

Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Don't see why not had vh with vc manual steering shaft which looked same length as vk item

Should be all same splined shafts from vb-vl & think vn...vp were first to changeover to slotted style iirc.

CUDA71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB - SL - 4.2
Thanks gtrboyy - but my concern is the mounting points where the rack bolts up to the k-frame

CUDA71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB - SL - 4.2
Will a manual steering rack out of a 6 cyl VB-VH fit into a VB with a 253 K-frame.
Are the 6 cyl and the V8 K-frame steering rack mounting points the same?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Will a manual steering rack out of a 6 cyl VB-VH fit into a VB with a 253 K-frame.
Are the 6 cyl and the V8 K-frame steering rack mounting points the same?

Yes it will and yes mounting points are identical......The K-frames, 6 to V8 are the same K-frame

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Dunno why but lots of people think vb model is different to the rest of early girls...barely any left to disprove that theory.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dunno why but lots of people think vb model is different to the rest of early girls...barely any left to disprove that theory.

There is a slight difference with the intermediate shaft, between the VB and VC/VH.....The VB intermediate shaft actually splits apart in the centre of it, where the VC and VH (not sure about others) have like a steering box rag near the firewall side.

That being said, they interchange with no issues

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah know what you actually seen that on some vh models...even got one on my vh when did manual conversion as cbf'd waiting for nicer looking version that all vk & vl models had.

Believe it or not vb-k intermediates fit vl manual rack into early girls...vl rack has longer shaft on rack.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah know what you actually seen that on some vh models...even got one on my vh when did manual conversion as cbf'd waiting for nicer looking version that all vk & vl models had.

Believe it or not vb-k intermediates fit vl manual rack into early girls...vl rack has longer shaft on rack.

I personally prefer the VB style, that I described.....More "compact" as such, rather than a big rag sticking out.

Never had the pleasure of doing the conversion, with the VL rack into the early girls.....Only ever changed from power to manual steer with the earlies

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah I call those intermediate shafts the pretty ones..now got spares.

vl manual rack into early girls is easy if you're changing crossmembers over whilst no engine in bay...went full emo with vl manual rack into vp ute after failed attempt with vk rack + crossmember but intermediate way too short.