Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb,vc,vh fuel sender in a vk commodore

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Molasses was ol' hot rodder trick...thought about trying it but thought may be too harsh on sender unit but also cbf'd at the time as parts were cheap at the time.

Would like to do molasses on rusty fuel tank & other parts one day though.

I have used molasses on rims before today....Trick with that stuff is, not to leave the parts in there too long as molasses can eat the parts away....

So with the fuel tank, leave it for a couple of hours and see how it's fairing...When it's done, wash it thoroughly with water... :)

TheEdster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Inox is an electrical cleaner, so it is good to have a spray can on hand....Bloody magic stuff....Basic cleaning of terminals is, spray some on, wipe it off and all the crap comes off on the cloth, leaving a clean surface....

What I did with the sender unit, was sprayed the contents into a container and placed the sender unit into that container.....Worked for me, so good chance it'll work for you...So please do report back...Others will be interested to hear your opinion

Well colour me impressed! To give you an idea, the float arm wouldn't move at all and even the resistor looked like it was corroded. It was that ugly that I could not really identify anything inside. I wouldn't say it looks brand new but the rust is gone and the friggin' thing works on the multimeter! I have to admit that I rally had my doubts.
I should have removed the seal first but will do and give it another dose. New seal on order. Now if I can just get that strainer off, I will put the VK unit on the shelf for a backup.
Tip of the month! Thanks VC
Fuel Sender Units Cropped.jpg
Fuel Sender Unit Clean.JPG

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well colour me impressed! To give you an idea, the float arm wouldn't move at all and even the resistor looked like it was corroded. It was that ugly that I could not really identify anything inside. I wouldn't say it looks brand new but the rust is gone and the friggin' thing works on the multimeter! I have to admit that I had my doubts.
I should have removed the seal first but will do and give it another dose. New seal on order. Now if I can just et that strainer off and I will put the VK unit on the shelf for a backup.
Tip of the month! Thanks VC
View attachment 228601View attachment 228599

That's what this forum is for....So good to see I could help...It should also help others as well..

Reactions: Lex

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
where was this information a couple of months ago when I needed it!

yours came up really well!

I used the KBS kit on my tank, and sourced a better condition sender. I am sad that I might have been able to save it after all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
where was this information a couple of months ago when I needed it!

yours came up really well!

I used the KBS kit on my tank, and sourced a better condition sender. I am sad that I might have been able to save it after all.

If you had asked you would have received.... :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah wished I'd thought more about doing same thing years ago than tossing out several units.

Don't reuse strainers just order new one.....think I used ford ea falcon strainer or similar style with hose clamp as ol' holden usually strainers disintegrated or were blocked with crud.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've used vinegar before to remove rust. I don't know if it's safe on a fuel sender though?

TheEdster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
To continue this old thread, my fuel gauge stopped working a while ago and O have only just got around to pulling the sender out for a test. Still works but the float is full of fuel. Looks like I will have to buy a whole new sender just to get the float.
The old float must have micro holes in it. Don’t suppose anyone has an brilliant idea how to re-seal the float? Some magic spray?