Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb,vc,vh fuel sender in a vk commodore

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the external pump setup may need a intank lift pump if it cant self prime, thats why factory done it back then as the main pump was above the tank level

TheEdster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hi. Bought a new (old) VK tank to replace a VH tank. Sender on VH is noting but rust. Plugged in the VK sender and seems to work. Very likely a stupid question but can I use the VK sender without connecting, what I assume is, the intank pump?
Fuel Sender Units small.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep sender units are same range.

Guessing unit on right is 6cyl vh & unit on left is calais/brock item...has 2 pipes & iirc wire for sender & idiot light.

May also be larger pickup pipe which is good thing but doesn't sit low enough with fuel slosh issues when accelerating.

Personally I'd take pump out add longer than factory pick up pipe than with new strainer.

What setup running in car...modified or just stock 6 cyl?

TheEdster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Yep sender units are same range.

Guessing unit on right is 6cyl vh & unit on left is calais/brock item...has 2 pipes & iirc wire for sender & idiot light.

May also be larger pickup pipe which is good thing but doesn't sit low enough with fuel slosh issues when accelerating.

Personally I'd take pump out add longer than factory pick up pipe than with new strainer.

What setup running in car...modified or just stock 6 cyl?

Thanks for the info and reply. Yes, on the right is from my stock 6 cyl. You should have seen the condition of the inside of the tank...Looked good on the outside. New tanks looks almost perfect inside.
Left is VK but I don't know which one. Was just going to block off the breather connection and find an appropriate wire to earth it.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi. Bought a new (old) VK tank to replace a VH tank. Sender on VH is noting but rust. Plugged in the VK sender and seems to work. Very likely a stupid question but can I use the VK sender without connecting, what I assume is, the intank pump?
View attachment 228532

Soak the old sender in inox for 24 hours....Comes out like new....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
^^ some dudes have done that to reco their sender units & it's actually worked.

I had a varnished vk unit,rusted lj torrie & vn sender/pump setup that I threw out...would have tried to fix them had I known it was possible just for the experiment.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
^^ some dudes have done that to reco their sender units & it's actually worked.

I had a varnished vk unit,rusted lj torrie & vn sender/pump setup that I threw out...would have tried to fix them had I known it was possible just for the experiment.

I tried it with a Centura sender....It was rusty as all truck and good luck trying to find one of those...:)...Soaked in Inox for 24 hours and good as new....That was 10 or more years ago and still works to this day

TheEdster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
I tried it with a Centura sender....It was rusty as all truck and good luck trying to find one of those...:)...Soaked in Inox for 24 hours and good as new....That was 10 or more years ago and still works to this day
Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a go and report back. If it works on this, it will work on anything.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a go and report back. If it works on this, it will work on anything.

Inox is an electrical cleaner, so it is good to have a spray can on hand....Bloody magic stuff....Basic cleaning of terminals is, spray some on, wipe it off and all the crap comes off on the cloth, leaving a clean surface....

What I did with the sender unit, was sprayed the contents into a container and placed the sender unit into that container.....Worked for me, so good chance it'll work for you...So please do report back...Others will be interested to hear your opinion

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Molasses was ol' hot rodder trick...thought about trying it but thought may be too harsh on sender unit but also cbf'd at the time as parts were cheap at the time.

Would like to do molasses on rusty fuel tank & other parts one day though.

Reactions: Lex