Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB-VL Parcel Shelf replacement

rus_SLE88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Thought I would try a replacement Parcel Shelf for my VH, the old one was 29 y.o. and falling apart. Bought some Pioneer Champion Series 6x9 and they weigh 2.5kg each !!! So out with the the old shelf.

Luckily the magnets just fit in the steel Holes. I used 12mm MDF, I wouldn't go any thicker, as it fits snuggly under your window rubber, is still strong enough and doesnt get in the way for the rear seat.

I used some Carpet underlay (new) instead of foam. Foam would probably give a more even result at the edges. It still turned out pretty good though.

The seatbelt holes were a bit painful, however I am happy how they have turned out considering.

I found some fake suede from Spotlight and used this to cover it all. If you have access to a Air Stapler, makes it a hell of a lot easier to cover the shelf. I had to use some spacers to lift up the speakers to keep the terminals off the steel body.

2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had done something similar ... or had any different ideas?

Rus.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nah same deal for mine, although i use 20mm (different car, but same principle):
measured up and cut:
100_1753.jpg

blank:
100_1752.jpg

fit up with the spare in place:
100_1757.jpg

box volume calculated:
Image040.jpg

subs fitted:
100_1758.jpg

6X9's cut out:
100_1759.jpg

test fitted, woofers have ample clearance:
100_1768.jpg

carpeted, i cut 45 degree bevels so the speakers sit up a bit from the shelf, makes them a bit less plain from normal:
100_1764.jpg

in and carpeted, you can see the vents for the sub box right next to the 6X9's, had to cut a little section out of th side of the vent tube cos i misjudged by 5mm on either side but it all fit ok:
100_1820.jpg

sounds awesome.

100_1819.jpg

also a good idea is to fit dynamat under your new mdf shelf cos it will rattle around like a mofo with no padding

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you did a good job mate.
actually I'm looking at doing something similar for mine & wanted to see how the seatbelt cutouts looked, because I replaced my non-retractable seatbelts with retractables not long ago and was wondering where the slot cutouts go. I was also worried how the shelf might sit at the rear, as the parcel shelf panel (underneath) angles up at near the rear window. I didn't know if I'd have to do shave some timber off the underside near the window to make it fit. But yours seems to fit nicely.

Well done

Lugnuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Does anybody know how to get the old shelf out and new one in?? I've removed the fasteners but it's securely wedged under the window rubber and rear seat. Do you need to remove the rear seat first?? If so how? I'm stuck! Any insights is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 358

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
If all of the plugs are out just pull it out, it might be slightly glued to the rubber of the rear screen but that’s more due to the age of the vehicle. Just give it a good tug upwards then away from the rear screen. Unless someone has screwed the speakers down though the parcel shelf into the main rear body shelf. It’s easier to take the rear seat out in the first place, base/bottom firstly followed by the back.

Lugnuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Yeh it came out a treat after I removed the rear seat - just like you said base first, then after opening the two clips on either side the back (eventually) came off :)