Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vc 4 cyl 3 speed wont shift up out of first.

Nick86

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 Vs Commodore Berlina V6
Hi all, I have recently stumbled across a transmisson issue with my 4cyl vc commodore, when I bought the car the auto trans worked fine, I have done around 100kms in the car and only recently it didn't shift up until it was warm for one drive, the following drive it shifted when warm, but i stopped at an intersection and then wouldn't change out of first while in drive now in drive it seems to only stay in first no matter whether it is in 2nd or D its always in first. All other gears work fine, and the trans fluid is clean and at the right level. What could be causing this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
From the back of my memory I think you will find a vacuum modulator thing mounted to the side of the box with a thin rubber tube connected to it. Check that tube is connected and everything around there looks ok. It's a round thing that looks like a little UFO ;)

Nick86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright will do, is it worth pulling the tube off to see if its blocked or even remove it or just leave it in place?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
From the back of my memory I think you will find a vacuum modulator thing mounted to the side of the box with a thin rubber tube connected to it. Check that tube is connected and everything around there looks ok. It's a round thing that looks like a little UFO ;)

That should be for high load upshift if my auto knowledge going back years tells me correct.

The box should shift off the governer no matter any ancillary bullshit on the outside.
Sounds like a spool valve is stuck.

Nick86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you think there is any type of easy fix without having to rebuild it? The car had been sitting for 8 years prior to a few weeks ago as when i got it all worked well.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Do you think there is any type of easy fix without having to rebuild it? The car had been sitting for 8 years prior to a few weeks ago as when i got it all worked well.

try changing the oil and filter.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Alright will do, is it worth pulling the tube off to see if its blocked or even remove it or just leave it in place?

Check this tube isn't split...If the tube is fine a good chance the modulator (that's the correct name for that part) will be buggered and should require replacing....

99% of the time, it will be the tube

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
That should be for high load upshift if my auto knowledge going back years tells me correct.

The box should shift off the governer no matter any ancillary bullshit on the outside.
Sounds like a spool valve is stuck.

The modulator on these boxes require vacuum to shift out of first gear.....If the modulator or tube are stuffed, they stick in first gear and won't shift out of it

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The modulator on these boxes require vacuum to shift out of first gear.....If the modulator or tube are stuffed, they stick in first gear and won't shift out of it

Oh okay I didn't know that. Most mechanical autos just use the governer.