Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vc 6cylinder wont crank

V8bobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ls1
Hey people I've picked up a vc commodore with a 202 it's been converted to Manual and the dizzy was in the boot so I put it in place and I'm trying to get to to turn over but it won't I've jumped the starter and it spins but doesn't engage the engine and it won't even spin when I turn the key I can't find the ignition module so the dizzy is not plugged into anything not sure if this is the cause or not need help

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
First up, you'll have to check the starter is actually throwing out to engage onto the flywheel....

2ndly, check the flywheel teeth aren't buggered, along with the starter motor teeth

Also check the bellhousing isn't warped...I've had an aftermarket bellhousing, that was actually warped...It was around the starter area, so what was happening was the starter just hit the flywheel, but wouldn't turn the motor over.....Took me a few days to actually pick that one up.

Make sure the bellhousing is actually flush with the block....Strangely enough, auto bellhousing bolts are shorter than manual bellhousing bolts, especially the top ones...So another area to check..

The dizzy has nothing to do with the starter engaging or not.

So a few things to check to begin with

Last edited:

V8bobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ls1
First up, you'll have to check the starter is actually throwing out to engage onto the flywheel....

2ndly, check the flywheel teeth aren't buggered, along with the starter motor teeth

Also check the bellhousing isn't warped...I've had an aftermarket bellhousing, that was actually warped...It was around the starter area, so what was happening was the starter just hit the flywheel, but wouldn't turn the motor over.....Took me a few days to actually pick that one up.

Make sure the bellhousing is actually flush with the block....Strangely enough, auto bellhousing bolts are shorter than manual bellhousing bolts, especially the top ones...So another area to check..

The dizzy has nothing to do with the starter engaging or not.

So a few things to check to begin with
It was working fine (as in it was engaging the flywheel properly) 10 years ago before it was parked up I remember driving it around my pops place as a young fella i g o t it off my pop recently i jumped the starter with between the two terminals and it did spin but it did not engage the flywheel it didn't even try so I'm assuming that's because it's been sitting for 10 years but I can fix that or replace it but first I'd like it to work off the key even if it just tries to spin so I know the wiring is alright I know the dizzy is nothing to do with the starter moter but I'm not sure about the ignition module missing if that's part of it. I appreciate any comments and help

V8bobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ls1
Another thing is the wiring I'm not sure about I believe the 4 wires together go to the missing ignition module and then the rest I'm not sure of the 2 plugs that are dirty were wrapped up together and cable tied towards the back of the engine so im thinking that might be something to do with the fact it was converted to manual but again im not sure
I appreciate any comments and any help cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
It was working fine (as in it was engaging the flywheel properly) 10 years ago before it was parked up I remember driving it around my pops place as a young fella i g o t it off my pop recently i jumped the starter with between the two terminals and it did spin but it did not engage the flywheel it didn't even try so I'm assuming that's because it's been sitting for 10 years but I can fix that or replace it but first I'd like it to work off the key even if it just tries to spin so I know the wiring is alright I know the dizzy is nothing to do with the starter moter but I'm not sure about the ignition module missing if that's part of it. I appreciate any comments and help
Very good chance you are jumping the wrong pins on the starter.
Easy enough to jump them with a screw driver but if you jump the wrong ones it will spin but not throw in to the flywheel.
Another thing, you say it has been converted to manual, so what has been done with the auto stop switch that was on the auto gearbox which stopped it starting when not in park or neutral ??

Ok I see you said it was starting 10 years ago so either you are jumping the wrong pins or starter solenoid is cactus.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pull plug off solenoid starter then connect to testlight..turn key,if it lights up then that is working circuit...some cars ended up with relay if wires or voltage too weak to work solenoid.

Alot can happen in 10 years like solenoid or even starter seizing so maybe bit of love with tapometer.

If it's hei the module has 4 plugs on it 2 inside & 2 going to coil (green & pink??? )iirc

coil will have power from hooked to it from engine harness.

If was auto it wires will have been cut & bridged where tbar used to be or sometime people would leave inhibitor still connected which meant if it got moved no cranking untill moved back to right spot haha

Another common thing with ol' sixes is 2pce bonded balancer can spin so timing marks can be wrong.

That should keep you busy enough before looking at fuel system.

V8bobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ls1
Very good chance you are jumping the wrong pins on the starter.
Easy enough to jump them with a screw driver but if you jump the wrong ones it will spin but not throw in to the flywheel.
Another thing, you say it has been converted to manual, so what has been done with the auto stop switch that was on the auto gearbox which stopped it starting when not in park or neutral ??

Ok I see you said it was starting 10 years ago so either you are jumping the wrong pins or starter solenoid is cactus.
Okay so I pulled it out and tried it with jumper leads I earthed the casing and touched the positive on the pins until something happened I managed to get it to spin easliy by touching the positive on the pin closest to the body and when I touched the flat conecter pin with the positive it shot out and spun slowly as if to engage the flywheel but it only done it once I then pulled it apart and wiped some crap out of it sprayed some moving parts with wd40 and reassembled and then if I touched both the flat pin and the pin closest to the body it would shoot out and spin fast as hell put it back in the car and still doesn't work. I tried to jump it the same way as when it was out of the car but I could only get it spinning it wouldnt shoot out and still wont do anything when i turn the key but when i turn the key to start it the "brake" light comes on

V8bobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ls1
Pull plug off solenoid starter then connect to testlight..turn key,if it lights up then that is working circuit...some cars ended up with relay if wires or voltage too weak to work solenoid.

Alot can happen in 10 years like solenoid or even starter seizing so maybe bit of love with tapometer.

If it's hei the module has 4 plugs on it 2 inside & 2 going to coil (green & pink??? )iirc

coil will have power from hooked to it from engine harness.

If was auto it wires will have been cut & bridged where tbar used to be or sometime people would leave inhibitor still connected which meant if it got moved no cranking untill moved back to right spot haha

Another common thing with ol' sixes is 2pce bonded balancer can spin so timing marks can be wrong.

That should keep you busy enough before looking at fuel system.
I dont have a test light but I'll hook the multimeter up and check that tomorrow arvo what would be the things to check if I don't get a signal there
What is hei

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
maybe a simple solution might be get a replacement starter and a fully charged battery to start with and also connect up the missing coil and distributor wiring before dealing with the any other electrical issues. :)

Also sounds as if after 10 years sitting, apart from water/earth connections damage, someone has used it for spare parts with stuff taken out being in the boot

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
Next big questions are, does the motor turn buy hand? Sounds like this may be the cause, considering the starter is spinning and throwing out the bendix, whilst out of the car.

Does the flywheel have all the teeth on it for the starter to engage.

Try those first

You have also thrown me with the ignition module thing....6 cyl electronic dizzy's have 2 wires coming out of them...Red (or orange) and green...Red/orange being positive to coil and green to negative of coil....you also have 1 wire coming from the main loom(connector just right of centre at the firewall) (Red), which connects to the positive of the coil, which provides the power to the coil for it to spark.

Last edited: