Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC Commodore L Sedan with Starfire 4 cylinder

GeneSPIDA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VC 4 cylinder L Sedan
Hi,

I have a yellow VC Commodore L Sedan with the infamous Starfire 4 cylinder in it. Basically, it's a car handed-down through the family and used by 3 people.

I'm at the point where I'm deciding whether to sell it on, and hopefully someone makes good use of it or retains it, or whether to store it up myself for it's potential "history" status.

Being such an unpopular engine option, I don't think many were actually made, and of those that were I suspect a lot have not been maintained in original condition. So, while it will probably never be a big dollar collector's item, I'm wondering if I keep it original whether it will prove to be a rarity in the future?

I'd probably look at getting the dreaded engine rebuilt for unleaded fuel and to re-invigorated the horses it didn't have, and probably a bit of a general body touch-up. But it's pretty good for it's age and wouldn't take much to be a good example of one from the time.

What do you think?

Gene

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
There was a time toranas were unloved runabout for centrelink folk. They are now worth big money. same applies to the commodore 4. if you have the room, keep it, it should grow...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I'd hang onto it and keep it original, something different and interesting, and who knows where values may go in the future.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You could put in a 6cyl with out much work, you could put one in but without having to modify anything in a way that youll never be able to change it back. So in the mean time its nicer to drive but in the future if an original 4cyl is worth money you can simply change it back and nobody would ever no the difference. Just make sure you hang on to all your original parts.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I had a silver/blue VC star fire giving to me about ten years ago it was original condition and i love the fact the body had never been thrashed or stressed so it was the perfect starting point for my V8 conversion don't know what happened to it but was a simple conversion everything was interchangeable.
But like was said previously every thing can be put back to original if you want to have some fun for now?

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
In my opinion it's going to be a long time before a starfire commodore is going to worth anything. They were pretty rare back in the day and are even more rare now - and still not very sought after. There were just too many commy's built, if an original low k 6 pack is not worth much, it will be even less for a starfire.... Only the V8 SL/E's are gaining value, and really only the 308's at that.

RippleEphex

VS Wagooon
Reaction score
Website
www.rippleephex.com.au
Members Ride
95' VS Wagon
would be nice to see someone do one up just to see how it goes, i think cdt used to do them up with turbos? maybe?, so im sure you could get something out of it, not as much as a 202 obviously
i think it could be another 50 years before theyre worth anything more than they are now, when there is less than 10 left

My mighty VH starfire SL sedan doesnt go too badly on unleaded, ive got it running pretty smooth and seems to be a happy little engine at the moment, hasnt got a lot of power, but it gets around ok,

so id keep it original, tidy it up and give it a good tune, wouldnt be too bad

RIPOzzieJobs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S pac
Hey guys. I made an account because I am seriously thinking of purchasing a VC Starfire wagon. There doesn't seem to be much discussion on this car because not a lot seems to have changed, no one cares about this car. It's got 105xxx on the clock and is painted Royal Blue and he's asking $1500. Do you guys think I am getting a good deal? Car only has surface rust along the roof and otherwise is in very good condition for it's age. Demand for these cars isn't going anywhere anytime soon but yeah I'm about to run myself broke and just looking for a good reason not to buy it other than that. Cheers.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
The moonglow 4 is worthless rubbish and no better on fuel than the 173 6 cyl.
Holden were claiming back in the day that this moonglow engine would be the top selling engine in the Commodore range.
I know of one old hen pecked poor old clown that bought a yellow VC 4cyl Commodore wagon from new, he believed the spin boasting about it all, haha and another with a new red Toyota Corona wagon that had the moonglow 4 and was a automatic and he was complaining how gutless it was, I don't know why he bought it one of his workers had a new UC Sunbird maybe he talked him into it.

If you fork out to do the engine you will never get your moneys worth back.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's difficult to guess the future value of a car that was unloved from day one but plenty of very ordinary old British cars from the 50's now have surprising values. The Commodore 4 will probably be the same in 50 years if well maintained but who would honestly keep one that long?

A clean car will cease to depreciate but will only hold a relatively low value for some time yet.