Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC Commodore - Need help!

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Hey, I'm fairly new here, this is my first thread actually.

I own a VC commodore which i got off my uncle who has kept it in PERFECT condition. it has been kept running and registered for a long time now but hardly driven (uncle is almost blind).

It only has around 150 000kms.

I got it almost completely original except for an aftermarket air conditioner.

I have only done small mods to it, steering wheel, sound system, new horn, gearshift etc and plan to do a lot more, mainly body work, but i want to try and get a bit more performance out of it with as little cost as possible.

any suggestions?

any help greatly appreciated as i'm pretty new to this

cheers

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
What motor to start with?

If its original and in as good as condition as you describe, its probably worth more, then tacky mods, no offense, but it depends what you want from the car.

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Original straight 6 blue motor, 202?
The body has a fair bit of surface rust as it lived near the sea most of its life.

definately only a muck around car

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
A good service to start with.
Air, oil and fuel filter, fresh oil. Dissy cap, rotor button, coil, leads and plugs, should brighten it up to start, and having it running good before you start modding.

If you wanna stay carb'd 202 then;
A 34 ADM weber carb off a XE ford, rebuild it, or get it rebuilt so its 100%, alternativly get a reco'd carb (assuming its a Varijet), this can make a suprising difference bringing it back up to stock specs.
extractors, and a 2 1/4 inch (no bigger) exhaust.
Depending how far you wanna go, you could go head work, cam, or a full blown rebuild, or forced induction.

and fix the surface rust before it gets worse, also doesnt hurt to service tranny and diff, and get your brakes up to scratch, and check out suspension bush's etc.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
thanks for the suggestions!

just wondering whats involved with fitting the xe carby? Will i need an adapter kit like this one -

HOLDEN VH VK COMMODORE WB WEBER CARBY CONVERSION KIT - eBay, Air Intake, Fuel Delivery, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 31-Jan-09 19:29:45 AEDST)

?

Honestly, that kit is the easiest way to do it, most of the hard work is done.
You could do it alot cheaper, if your prepared to much around, and do your own fabrication. That kit is pretty much bolt on, so no mucking around.
If you want to do it on the cheap, source the weber carb (between 50-100) and either use the weber aircleaner, or get one like on the conversion (more $$). Rebuild kit (bout 60 bux from memory), then the redline adapter ($45) and you will need to make a custom bracket for your accelerator, aswell as muck around with bolts, gaskets and spacers. The bolts in the redline adapter are to short for this conversion. Also you need to use two varijet spacers and 1 weber from memory, so sourcing gaskets (not hard).

I was going to do this conversion, but I chose not to caus of Vic P-plate laws on modified vehicles, and dont want to ass raped for something silly.

It depends on your skill's and patience, but I would be opting for the kit as its so simple. The only reason I didnt opt for the kit when researching, was because I could source all parts for free (paddock bombs) except the rebuild kit and adapter which I could get trade price.

brumby_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
hi i have a 1980 vc commodore. and it wont start lol...any suggestions im geting fuel power and yer it just wont start it tries 2 kick over but wont. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
hi i have a 1980 vc commodore. and it wont start lol...any suggestions im geting fuel power and yer it just wont start it tries 2 kick over but wont. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

put a a littite bit! of fuel down the carby mate and try start her, but don't blame me if u get hurt bro :thumbsup: