Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vc commodore won't start after sitting for a long time.

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodore acclaim
Okay so it was running okay I never had any big problems at all with my car, but then I didn't drive it for about six months because I lost my licence, so when I tried starting it all the accessories worked on my car but it wouldn't turn over. It would just make this buzzing kind of sound.. so after fiddling around for ages it sparked as I put the negative terminal on the battery and then it started straight away.
So I thought I might be a dodgy terminal, it did look a bit corroded so I bought a new one and thought it would work, but it still doesn't, only accessories, and still the weird buzzing sound.
we also bypassed the terminals and started it with the starter motor and it worked perfectly.
So please any help would be great.
Key points.
Starts by sparking the battery, just doesn't connect completely?
Weird buzz and a couple clicks i forgot to mention.
Starter motor can be bypassed and starts and runs perfectly.

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore sorry.
And the battery is in good working order.

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it's a VX sorry about the confusion.
I'm thinking it's the terminal leads do you have ideas on how much that would cost to replace??

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you tried switching the starter relay with high beam headlights?
Were is this buzzing sound coming from?
When turning the key is it making contact to the slipring?
Is your key fob working?
Is your earth lead from the battery to chassis tight?
Is your positive side of the battery clean and tight?
You all ready said you replaced the terminal so are all the wires have good contact to the new terminal.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Okay so it was running okay I never had any big problems at all with my car, but then I didn't drive it for about six months because I lost my licence, so when I tried starting it all the accessories worked on my car but it wouldn't turn over. It would just make this buzzing kind of sound.. so after fiddling around for ages it sparked as I put the negative terminal on the battery and then it started straight away.
So I thought I might be a dodgy terminal, it did look a bit corroded so I bought a new one and thought it would work, but it still doesn't, only accessories, and still the weird buzzing sound.
we also bypassed the terminals and started it with the starter motor and it worked perfectly.
So please any help would be great.
Key points.
Starts by sparking the battery, just doesn't connect completely?
Weird buzz and a couple clicks i forgot to mention.
Starter motor can be bypassed and starts and runs perfectly.

Fully charging the battery would be helpful as the clicking noise could be the starter not getting full charge from battery ?? but you said it started when you arced the starter so that shows battery has enough juice or just had enough for a few tries so charge battery overnight fully.

The weird buzz and clicking is also the fuel pump in the rear priming the air out and when done it will click about 2 times to say all pressured and ready to go.

So you have fuel but not ignition to start, Good idea to check the main fuses and as trevor said do the relays as well @ under bonnet in the thin long black fuse box along guard next to battery, since your car was sitting for months with sandpaper scratch all the connections on fuses and put back, You might be lucky and it starts..... If not ?????

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the help I'm going to try them few things tomorrow and see if anything helps, it's still not starting at this point.

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
So ive been doing some of my own research and I think it may have something to do with the starter solenoid wire. It was bitten at by rats (I think) there are clear rat droppings ahah.
It looks a bit corroded also the starter motor connections look filthy. Could this be the reason I'll upload some photos

Emma97

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_2585.JPG