Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC fan blower location in engine bay

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Hi all,

Does anybody know much about the heating / aircon blower setup in VCs?

I'm looking to get back into the game before prices get much sillier, I note that some have a blower up against the firewall on the passenger side, and others do not.

Obviously all of them still have heaters and fans at a minimum, so I'm not sure if the blower is just an option for aircon (and if so, why?)

Basically would be looking to possibly retrofit aircon, but without having to have that ugly blower in the bay - so any info you might have would be much appreciated, thanks!

1Watto1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE
Hi synoptica

There are a few type of fan assemblies in the VB/VC generally located on the engine side of the firewall. This was changed for VH's etc

For VC's the fan in the engine bay (large on the left side of engine) feeds air straight into the evaporator core (if the VC has aircon), where it gets diverted dependent by the flow controlled by the operator on the interior control arms. If no AC the fan distributes air into the heater core assembly through the plastic ducts under the dash.

Removing the fan assembly in the VC will expose a large square hole in the firewall where the air enters. Easy fill/repair I would image if you are handy and I am sure there are a few aftermarket fan replacements out there if you decide to replace and /or change to another later model - VH or VK fan assembly etc and locate in another position out of engine bay.

Good luck - Watto

Last edited:

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
heater blower motor located under cowl panel .

Attachments

• HEATER BOX BLOWER MOTOR.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 216

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
ok, this is a heater box blower motor is located under-cowl panel has a cover you need to remove and 4 screws holding in place from under the cover holding it to the body/firewall... if a/c car you got to disconnect a/c lines under-cowl depending on a/c type. Is not an easy job as just replaced one original no a/c and is like finding rocking horse **** but I have found one... It all depends on your a/c set up if you have one as cars were of 2 types of a/c so find out what type you have( log a pic and a fellow member might be able to point you in the right direction) and you might be able to use a later motor up to a vk. but not an easy job, either way, I was lucky I was replacing the cowl panel and made it easier as screws holding to body and bay rusted so be gentle not to strip heads.( recommend get mechanic who knows commodores to fit)

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_211032.jpg
    IMG_20200904_211032.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20200917_141955.jpg
    IMG_20200917_141955.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20200917_142029.jpg
    IMG_20200917_142029.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20200917_142150.jpg
    IMG_20200917_142150.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 157

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Thanks heaps guys, that's great to know.

A bit of a shame that the AC blower is so prominent, the VC otherwise has such a clean bay. Aircon, or clean bay are my choices I guess! :)