Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC - Help with GT40 Coil

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Goon said:
Anybody be able to give me the heads up on what a ballast resistor looks like?

Attached images...

Last edited:

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Sounds like you've grabbed the old school one that needs the ballast resister fitted as previously descibed. A ballast restister drops the volts going to your coil to about 8 volts I think. Normally found on some cars with points. I know some torana's and the old kingswoods had them. Not sure about dunnydores ;)

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
auc05l said:
Sounds like you've grabbed the old school one that needs the ballast resister fitted as previously descibed. A ballast restister drops the volts going to your coil to about 8 volts I think. Normally found on some cars with points. I know some torana's and the old kingswoods had them. Not sure about dunnydores ;)

THanks for that info mate lol :D I found that out similar stuff after some extra research :ranting:

I decided to take it back and get my cash back :) Installed the good old one back in :whistling

Would anybody have an idea on how much a new coil could be? & where there's a good chance of getting one?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
About 60 bucks. From any auto joint like Autobarn or Repco.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
You may need to get them to order it though. They don't carry all stock, but go in and talk to them. They usually know what you are talking about and can look up their computers/manuals for you. :thumbsup: