Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC pov pack

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
First post.
This has been my daily for the past 12 months, its an '80 model VC L. Has the original blue 202, Traumatic, dicky "economy" guage etc etc.
VC.jpg

Surprisingly, I'm only the third owner. The first being some old coot from here in town, and the second being my old man. I swapped him an '01 Magna wagon with the 3.5 V6 and 5spd manual for it, went like the clappers (compared to my brother's VP wagon, anyway) but I couldn't stand the front wheel drive any longer.

Anyway. Plans are to drop in an injected VK 202 with a cold air intake, extractors, 2.5"exhaust, 5spd manual conversion, new springs/shocks/bushes, tacho dash, fishnet Recaro's, fix the body up a bit so it doesn't look like as much of a junker and swap the stock steelies with some 15x7 Hotwires with decent tyres (I've had good experiences with Federal 595EVO's in the past, so I'll likely head in that direction). Just stuff to make it reliable, comfortable and more fun to drive while I get my Scorpion sorted.

Anyway. Rambling aside, any tips, help etc to get this old girl moving and handling a bit better would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Josh.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
SAM_0585.jpg

Found another pic, from when I went up to Sydney for WTAC last year.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you are swapping engines, have you considered a VN/VP V6 conversion ?
You are going to get a lot better fuel economy than an EFI Holden 6, reliability and of course more power.
The VK EFI 6 didn't have a very good engine management system. It's prone to a lot of problems and difficult to get parts for now

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Yeah, I gave up on the EFI 202 idea after having a chat to one of my brother's mates. The guy's been a Holden mechanic since 1982, makes sense to listen to that sort of experience, lol.

I hadn't actually considered the V6 swap. I've never been a fan of the 3.8, but it seems to be good bang for buck. What's it involve?

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Cheers for the link mate :)
I'm actually hoping this DOESN'T turn into another project lol, I'm just looking to tidy it up and get it going a bit better so I'm not flogging it to keep up with highway traffic.

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
despite all the crap people put on the V6, it's a good engine. They are a bit of a harsh engine, but heaps more power than the 202, they use the venerable Delco 808 engine management system, heaps of parts available, can't kill the bastards and fuel economy is good too. That link VBRED provided will have all the info on the conversion

but in short it's fairly easy.
Just grab the engine & k-frame from the donor car. Drop the VC kframe and engine out and bolt up the VN-VS K-frame & steering rack (use a VL intermediate shaft to connect the rack) and then you just have to wire it up. Ready made wiring kits are available if you are electrically challenged...

The Ecotec is a smoother engine, but keep in mind you will need to get the memcal modified to avoid all the BCM/anti-theft dramas
If you want to keep it a little more simple, then go the VN/VP engine. Still a good engine, just a little less refined. (incidently some people still prefer the power characteristics of the VN V6)

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Thanks man :)
My brother just picked up another VP wagon runner for the princely sum of $50, I might see if I can persuade him to part with the necessary bits to do the swap.
Now to persuade dad to let me use his hoist....

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
This is on the backburner for now. I have an 80's riceburner to get done in time for CJSS (Classic Japanese Show&Shine) in Brisbane in September, so spending money fixing this when it's not really broken isn't really a priority. It still runs pretty well, so yeah. Good enough.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
I know I said I wasn't going to spend any money on this until after CJSS, but I've been offered a rolled VB SL with a red 253/Trimatic and bugger all km's for next to nothing. Also has new-ish King Ultralows and lowered struts. I'll be stripping the drivetrain and suspension to use in this thing, and crushing the rest.
Would go V6, but yeah. The whole car's going to cost me less than a shitty running VN to do the swap, and 308's are way too expensive for what they are.