Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC Restoration

vc resto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Wagon, WM Caprice, E63, CB1000R, Harley Fat Boy
hi, first post here, nice site!

I have a VC Wagon (Vacationer) that we have had since new. i am currently putting in a LS3 V8 (LS376/480) while having the vehicle fully restored inside and out. looking for ideas or suggestions (and maybe some parts).

the idea is to have the exterior look completely original (only a slightly larger exhaust) with pin stripes, roof rack all as new. exterior is brown (sort of goldy brown)

the interior is to be redone in leather (x27 - porcelain in colour from Mercedes S and CLS class)

creature comforts include DVD (in headrests for kids), Nav, bluetooth, ipod interface, new a/c, new power steering, power windows from an SL/E, new or refurb seats and whatever else needed to make a comfortable ride

17 or 18 inch wheels depending on brake requirements - looking for styling from the period or soon after...will also try to source the following from an SL/E

- SL/E steering wheel (or may go after mkt)
- SL/E centre console with power window controls
- SL/E power windows and door trim if reqd
- SL/E rear seat headrests

intention is that it is replacing a nice german wagon so needs to compete well with it on comforts and gadgets if not ride quality and handling

anyway, whatever ideas or questions you have i would love to hear them, especially on what parts i could use from an SL/E and where i might find them!

thanks for reading

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
what era SL/E, VB, VC or VH?.
For the steering wheel, i would prefer after market, the SL/E wheel just doesn't look right.

Great project though. I'm wanting to do something like this to my VC SL/E 6 banger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
I was thinking the same thing steering wheel wise. Find something woodgrain and throw that on instead.

vc resto

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, the steering wheel's from then were not the best...will have to look around for something decent

vc resto

Reaction score
Members Ride
to answer the SL/E question, i am not really fussed, which SL/E i get parts from , so long as they match well and do the job

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
Mate if you do that you'll have one freakin sweet car. I'd love to do something similar with my vc daily after i get my vk on the road. It looks terrible with surface rust and flaky faded paint, I figure maybe I'd just fix the rust and leave it with grey primer. Then squeeze a blown ls2 and 6 speed manual into it. It'd be an awesome sleeper.

vc resto

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks
should be done within a couple of months
still looking a for a decent steering wheel - any ideas?

also would anyone know if there is a wrecker or parts dealer with quality SL/E parts like the console, pwer window motors, buttons, headrests etc?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
i have a vb sl and a nice wood grain with chrome center i think it looks nice its a bugger when the sun catches the chrome and the light shines in ur eyes, but oh well.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
This thing sounds like a monster. i'd love to see some pics...