Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vc SLE Harrison AC

1Watto1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE
Hi there Brains trust:)

Own a stock original VC Sle running the original Harrison AC. Question I have is I have located a slight leak (coolant):eek: coming from the Evaporator Box (plastic box which contains the Evaporator) from the AC (Original Harrison AC ) located inside the cabin under the left hand side footwell. The Gregory's manual I have is not great on how to remove :rolleyes:. Have removed the lower dash on the left for access however now have a few Q's or if someone can provide better diagrams etc other than the Gregory's manual:)
Questions I have are:
1. Is there any screws etc (other than the AC pipes) holding the unit in place against the firewall ?
2. Do I have to remove the fan located in the engine bay for access (if there are screws) OR will the removal of the AC hoses etc to the unit dislodge the unit in the footwell once disconnected.
3. OR can I access the Evaporator unit (located in a plastic sealed box) by simply breaking the plastic seal (carefully)
4. Is there any 'other' connection points I should be aware off?
Really appreciate your responses - 1Watto1

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I had a VC SLE, but never had the Evaporator out, and knew the car fairly well, and has the big Harrison Compressor in it for the Air/Con,
they were the best [Rotary] Compressor, [no vibration and little power draw, especially for a Blue 3.3L]
but,
One would think there would be a few screws to hold it in place.
And I am sure there is a sealant [like a black caulking compound] that is used to seal it against the firewall,
so no engine/exhaust fumes will get in to the cabin,
And this is like s____ to a blanket, and would hold it firmly in place,
may need to get a small scrapper and try and get in behind the edges and gently pry it away from the the firewall,
also, keep checking for additional [hidden] fixing screws.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The plate that is on the firewall engine bay side only has 4 phillips headed screws holding it in place, engine bay side.....It is in 2 pieces, with one piece interlocking with the other....I can't remember which one comes off first....

I don't recall any sealant holding it in place

1Watto1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE
Thanks Krusing & VC Commodore for your quick replies.

Have decide to attempt a fix with the unit still in the car. The black adhesive (probably something like SikaFlex) has been used across the plastic joint so adding a bit more may stop the leak. Taking the complete unit out at this stage is certainly not something I want to tackle given a high level of uncertainty associated with the fixing point on the firewall side and/or interior and the amount of heater and AC hoses etc needing to be removed for the pull-out. Obviously if the issue persists I will resort to a complete removal and refurb, however, that is really a last resort unless I can get further detail on the exact fixing points of the unit.

If anyone has a diagram etc that I could get that would be great.

Will see and report back if the added joint adhesive does the job :).

Thanks again.

1Watto1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE
Thanks Krusing & VC Commodore for your quick replies.

Have decide to attempt a fix with the unit still in the car. The black adhesive (probably something like SikaFlex) has been used across the plastic joint so adding a bit more may stop the leak. Taking the complete unit out at this stage is certainly not something I want to tackle given a high level of uncertainty associated with the fixing point on the firewall side and/or interior and the amount of heater and AC hoses etc needing to be removed for the pull-out. Obviously if the issue persists I will resort to a complete removal and refurb, however, that is really a last resort unless I can get further detail on the exact fixing points of the unit.

If anyone has a diagram etc that I could get that would be great.

Will see and report back if the added joint adhesive does the job :).

Thanks again.

1Watto1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE
Update...........Still leaking so bit the bullit and have had to remove the evaporator/heater assembly located under the left side footwell.

For anyone attempting this removal........am happy to expand but firstly here is a basic step by step removal process....

From Engine Bay.......
1. Remove blower fan which has three (3) 10mm nuts holding to firewall. One is a real mf to get too........
2. Remove all aircon lines (2 lines) into evaporator core through firewall. Note: remove aircon pressure and seal hoses once removed to stop any dirt etc going into lines
3. Remove heater lines (2 lines) which may need to be cut if tight to heater tubes. Heater lines are easy to replace so best to take care and cut lines close to heater tubes and then replace with new lines.
4, Remove last 10mm nut located on centre firewall side (~15cm from heater lines).

Once 1-4 completed move to Inside Cabin.........
5. Remove carpet below unit....evaporator/heater assembly (just pull it back so the unit has an extra 5 mm under the unit for leverage)
6. Remove all upper ducts to windscreen
7. Gently (gently) pull the evaporator/heater assembly in a slightly down and then out position
8. Remove three (3) vacuum lines located on the end of the evaporator/heater assembly

Once out of the car..........
9. The evaporator/heater assembly consists of two (2) halves held together by four (4) nuts.
10. Once nuts removed this will reveal the evaporator/heater assembly in two (2) parts. The heater core assembly and the evaporator core assembly
11. Removing the heater core is a trick. Remove three (3) screws on the assembly holding the heater core in and pull unit from the assembly. This will reveal the heater core sitting in a plastic tray with a metal ring on the end holding the heater core in place

After removing the heater core and giving this to the local radiator guys we identified a small leak in the centre of the core. This was causing the leak which has started all this thread. A new core will be built as the old Harrison core is no longer available. Should have the new core back for an attempt to re-assemble next week with new hoses and I will also regas the Harrison unit for cool motoring next summer.

Thanks again to those who provided advice etc and please reach out if you need any further info on this subject.

Cheers Watto

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What a Job, !

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Update...........Still leaking so bit the bullit and have had to remove the evaporator/heater assembly located under the left side footwell.

For anyone attempting this removal........am happy to expand but firstly here is a basic step by step removal process....

From Engine Bay.......
1. Remove blower fan which has three (3) 10mm nuts holding to firewall. One is a real mf to get too........
2. Remove all aircon lines (2 lines) into evaporator core through firewall. Note: remove aircon pressure and seal hoses once removed to stop any dirt etc going into lines
3. Remove heater lines (2 lines) which may need to be cut if tight to heater tubes. Heater lines are easy to replace so best to take care and cut lines close to heater tubes and then replace with new lines.
4, Remove last 10mm nut located on centre firewall side (~15cm from heater lines).

Once 1-4 completed move to Inside Cabin.........
5. Remove carpet below unit....evaporator/heater assembly (just pull it back so the unit has an extra 5 mm under the unit for leverage)
6. Remove all upper ducts to windscreen
7. Gently (gently) pull the evaporator/heater assembly in a slightly down and then out position
8. Remove three (3) vacuum lines located on the end of the evaporator/heater assembly

Once out of the car..........
9. The evaporator/heater assembly consists of two (2) halves held together by four (4) nuts.
10. Once nuts removed this will reveal the evaporator/heater assembly in two (2) parts. The heater core assembly and the evaporator core assembly
11. Removing the heater core is a trick. Remove three (3) screws on the assembly holding the heater core in and pull unit from the assembly. This will reveal the heater core sitting in a plastic tray with a metal ring on the end holding the heater core in place

After removing the heater core and giving this to the local radiator guys we identified a small leak in the centre of the core. This was causing the leak which has started all this thread. A new core will be built as the old Harrison core is no longer available. Should have the new core back for an attempt to re-assemble next week with new hoses and I will also regas the Harrison unit for cool motoring next summer.

Thanks again to those who provided advice etc and please reach out if you need any further info on this subject.

Cheers Watto

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Hey Watto.

Is it still out if the car?
I pulled mine apart awhile ago and with the evaporator, can't remember which way the mesh goes in and how it's held on. Do you have a pic?

Cheers
Mick

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey Watto.

Is it still out if the car?
I pulled mine apart awhile ago and with the evaporator, can't remember which way the mesh goes in and how it's held on. Do you have a pic?

Cheers
Mick

He hasn't been on since June 2021