Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM 3 Cam drivability in a manual?

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Hi all. I have a new project car at last...

I'm looking at doing my own cam. There are heaps of instructions and videos on the net and it doesn't look too hard. Famous last words.

I'm looking at the VCM3. I'm after a nice lumpy idle and the figures look good for what I want. I'm a bit of a wanker, in that I just want to cruise around with a nice lumpy cam, and give it the occasional squirt to make me smile. I want to stop at the lights and attract a bit of attention. When the VW Golf driver pulls up beside me (it's always freaking Golf drivers, but then again golf is flog spelled backward), wanting to race me down the road, I'll just sit there in my lumpy cam car, being lumpy. When the lights turn green, the flog driver will fly off into the distance while I just cruise along. He will always know, I could have if I wanted to. He'll still cry himself asleep at night, because he knows as high tech and quick as his little strudel mobile is, it's still not a V8. Anyways, I'll carry on....

My question is - I've watched the videos from VCM and they say the VCM3 is not recommended for a daily driver. I'm wondering why? What physical problems will it cause me? Stalling at low revs? Problems with gear changes? Any others?

I have a VE SSV manual. Standard 3.45 diff gears. OTR with a 3 inch stainless exhaust and custom shorty extractors and mufflers from Extracted Performance. Before you all tell me I should get long tube extractors, I chose shorties as they are better lower down in the rev range, which is where I spend most of my time. I also wanted them to bolt up in the original position for insurance purposes. They also sound awesome,and remember, I'm a wanker.

Cam specs of the VCM 3 are;
Duration 228/232
Lobe Separation @ 112
Valve Inlet .597"
Exhaust .597"

Thanks all,
Boomer

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Thanks blackve76. I'll have a look at that one. I dony have my heart set on the VCM 3 so am open to suggestions.

Richway

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE
Just wondering mate, did you buy the vcm3?