Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM mufflers - scraped and split - repairable?

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
As the title suggests, both of my mufflers are split at the end closest to the rear on my vcm 3 inch system -is due to scraping. Is this repairable? I don't know how to post a photo to this forum to show where thf split is on each but it is on the edge/join of the mufflers themselves, not the exhaust tips - if u imagine going up a steepish driveway and the mufflers scraped at the joints/edges at the rear

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Anything is repairable but WILL it be legal? As your mufflers are now split and U/S there is a good chance that Carbon Monoxide gas (from the exhaust) may/willseep into ther cabin of your vehicle. Ingestion of this gas is LETHAL and death is permanent. probably the safest way is to buy a couple of new/replacement mufflers and be confident that you are less likely to be poisoned by escaping gas.

KayTooM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Anything is repairable but WILL it be legal? As your mufflers are now split and U/S there is a good chance that Carbon Monoxide gas (from the exhaust) may/will seep into ther cabin of your vehicle. Ingestion of this gas is LETHAL and death is permanent. probably the safest way is to buy a couple of new/replacement mufflers and be confident that you are less likely to be poisoned by escaping gas.

The mufflers are behind the cats, whose purpose is to remove the Carbon monoxide. And seeing as the OP refers to the rear mufflers, I doubt that gas escaping 1foot earlier than the tips is going to make much difference in terms of emissions.
I dont see why an exhaust shop couldnt weld her up for you. Worth asking them at least.