Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM OTR and IAT sensor

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As Kangavxss says....^^

As you can see on mine, (it's a 304 but the OTR will sit in the same place) the OTR sits between the A/C condenser and the radiator.
I found, if you leave the middle part of the radiator shroud on, it will inhibit the air into the OTR.
I cut out the middle and just left the ends in place. I also attached some aluminium cannel to the top of the condenser and gave it a polish,
just to finish it off.
And yes....the OTR is a VCM.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Oh, and as far as the IAT goes, mine just pushes into the grommet.
But as I said before, it's a 304 and the IAT maybe different.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Mine is as stock as you get it lol, I`m not showing off my alloy but if you seen 1 you`ve seen em all IMO so I did mine like this, I just used a multi tool (renovator) to cut away the two upright lips underneath the shroud and were the little 3mm lip contacts the otr and because my latch was catching I cut a little away there too, bonnet closes no problem.

DSCF1554.jpgrsz_dscf1551.jpgrsz_dscf1558.jpgrsz_1rsz_1dscf1557.jpg

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Mine is as stock as you get it lol, I`m not showing off my alloy but if you seen 1 you`ve seen em all IMO so I did mine like this, I just used a multi tool (renovator) to cut away the two upright lips underneath the shroud and were the little 3mm lip contacts the otr and because my latch was catching I cut a little away there too, bonnet closes no problem.

View attachment 161215View attachment 161218View attachment 161219View attachment 161220

Yes, that's one way of doing it. :yeah:
But you are only relying on the air flow from the intake of the grill.
You will find you will get a better air flow if it is exposed, due to the air coming in from under the front of the bonnet as well as the air from the grill.
It may not seem much (the air from a closed bonnet), but it does make a difference. It does to mine anyway.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Yes I do believe you, I have planned to make so mods to it to try and make some of that air get to it.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
That looks good Nut Cracker, very professional. I see what you mean by the radiator shroud inhibiting air flow. I'll have a look at mine today and see what I can do. Thanks.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Thanks for all your help guys, tips and photos helped out heaps. The rubber grommet VCM supply is too small for the IAT sensor so i ended up going to Clark rubber and bought a 19mm outer/15mm inner rubber grommet which the IAT fitted into perfectly. The hole in the VCM is only 16mm so I drilled it out to 18mm and put the grommet and IAT in and now it is all good. The IAT is pushed all the way into the grommet and the sensor is fully exposed inside the VCM. Now I just have to cut the radiator shroud around the OTR to make it look more professional/stock.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When you cut the shroud, cut it a bit bigger than you need at first and then try and trim, try and trim.
You can always cut it down, but you can't add what you've cut off.

Last edited: