Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM OTR and IAT sensor

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Hi guys,
I am installing a VCM OTR into my VX but I am having trouble getting the IAT sensor into the rubber grommet on the side of the OTR. I can only push the IAT into the grommet so far as the plastic cage and sensor on the end of the IAT are still inside of the grommet. The end of the cage is just inside the inner part of the grommet but I can't get it to come right out and into the VCM. Just wondering if anyone else has installed one and how did they go? Does the IAT have to push right into the grommet so the sensor and cage part are exposed inside the VCM or is it ok to have it just inside the inner part of the grommet? Also do you have to cut the plastic away on top of the radiator to get the VCM to sit properly? Thanks for any help.

trelos05

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am installing a VCM OTR into my VX but I am having trouble getting the IAT sensor into the rubber grommet on the side of the OTR. I can only push the IAT into the grommet so far as the plastic cage and sensor on the end of the IAT are still inside of the grommet. The end of the cage is just inside the inner part of the grommet but I can't get it to come right out and into the VCM. Just wondering if anyone else has installed one and how did they go? Does the IAT have to push right into the grommet so the sensor and cage part are exposed inside the VCM or is it ok to have it just inside the inner part of the grommet? Also do you have to cut the plastic away on top of the radiator to get the VCM to sit properly? Thanks for any help.

Hey mate I had issues with the grommet as well, push it in as far as it will go and don't force it any further. I put a dab of black silicone behind my sensor and let it dry before running, hasn't moved. And yes the plastic support needs a minor rework. Cheers

trelos05

Reaction score
If I get a chance tomorrow will take some pics of mine and post up if that helps.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
That would be great if you could. Just want to be sure I am doing it right, especially with the IAT. Wasn't sure if the IAT had to push right into the grommet or only as far as you can get. A bit worried I might break if I push it too hard. Thanks.

trelos05

Reaction score
I broke one brother I hear ya. Post some pics in the morning.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Are you using the grommet from the air box (the rubber that silences the airbox mounts at the bottom of the airbox) or one included with the otr? if you have not tried it use the ones from the airbox.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the tip st3r3otyp3. I was using the grommet from the OTR. I'll give the air box grommet a try in the morning. Thanks.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hi guys,

Yes you have to cut the plastic radiator cover. Put your otr on and line it up where it should go then trace around it onto the plastic cover. Cut the plastic a tiny bit wider than your trace lines carefully. Remove the offcut and install your otr. You may find that the bottom of the otr touches your air cond condenser so you might have to tap down with a rubber mallet the top two rows of fins( wont effect the air cond if ur carefull). If your bonnet still doesnt shut you have to slightly bow the condenser inwards so the otr clears it. Just bend it with your hands slightly.To test if your otr touches the bonnet put some blue tack along the otr front edge and slowly close the bonnet. The bluetack will flatten out and expose the otr front edge if it touches. Hope that helps..

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks kangavxss. Great tips there to make sure it installs properly. I will be cutting the radiator shroud as well to fit around the OTR. I want to try to make it look as professional and original as possible.