Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM OTR on a alloytec ly7 sv6?

redalloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it is possible to put a vcm otr on an lv7 alloytec sv6? Seen and read heaps on the orrsom one and not a fan so far.

Thanks

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Only if it is a 2010 or later model apparently....a quick Google search shows some of the later models have them on them...but just how much modification is needed with MAF sensors etc I'm not sure

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
When I did the rounds of enquiry for my Alloytec SV6 on OTR CAI's the Orrsom was the only option.
I haven't fitted one yet, just a K&N high flow filter in the standard air box, slight performance & fuel economy improvement, I also only fill up on 98 octane fuel.

What don't you like about it? The style of ducting and that the filter is exposed?

redalloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Yeah nitro i just don't like that the filter is exposed, having the filter exposed makes it illegal so as a p plater we get enough hassle as it is. I understand that even if i get a VCM cops will still bring it up and if they want to fine me they will but what can you do.

I have also scoured multiple forums and Facebook pages and the general consensus is that vcm brings better over all performance, i have also seen multiple times that some have regretted getting the orrsom instead of the vcm AS WELL AS people who have actually gone from the orrsom to the vcm and noticed a difference.

I have actually seen multiple alloytecs with vcm otr's but don't know how they have done it, i don't actually know why it's so difficult to do, is the maf sensor in the wrong place or does the intake not line up with the otr?

Many questions that haven't been clarified :/

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Have you seen pictures of Alloytecs V6's with the VCM OTR CAI?
I imagine they've done some custom plumbing between the intake shroud and the intake port.

Although all VE's use the same chassis, the SIDI engine is different in design from the Alloytec.
It looks to me like the intake port is set back further on the SIDI engine and there *may* be a difference in the diameter of the intake port.
Also I can see that the intake resonator is larger/deeper on the SIDI engine compared to the Alloytec.

I believe it's actually the absence of the resonator which provides the 'growl'.
The resonator is essentially a tuned cavity (similar to sub woofer enclosures) in this case it slows down the air and alters the sound pressure waves feeding back from the intake manifold, dissipating sound pressure harmonics and resonances (reducing noise).

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
It's obviously a hassle otherwise VCM would have released it for the Alloytec (Unless they think there is no point on the V6)..The air hammer intake was popular for the 6 but of course that isn't OTR

redalloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Yeah on second look it doesn't look like any of the pictures i have seen have the VCM OTR on them, i must have not been paying attention to the engine because they are all SIDI engines.

Bit of a shame though, will have to find a different route.

Is there really a huge difference between and OTR and something like an air hammer. I feel like there would be a noticeable difference due to it being OTR.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
FHVEV6-PL, This for the XAIR otr for the VE 6 cylinder, it may be what you are chasing, filter not exposed like the orrsom
CAPA Performance
I was looking at that one myself, the other day.

Can't say I'm a fan, it looks like a cheap vacuum moulded plastic design and a bit over priced.
Also you have to tilt the radiator back quite a way and that long air filter would sit in front of the radiator obstructing air flow. Plus it's not a K&N filter either.

Personally I'd rather go for a pod CAI with a shroud than the XAIR OTR

I enquired about the Harrop Performance OTR CAI, which look excellent quality with an enclosed filter, but they only make one for the V8's :(

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_65_126

Last edited by a moderator:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
most otr's have the radiator tilt, my vcm does, most things are blow moulded/extruded plastic, not sure on the brand but have seen similar on others, maybe worth finding out brand, the air hammer tucks behind the bumper where the original filter would cover a large gap the pod sits in this void