Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 06 Calais Stereo Video Playback

robber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 06
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I was last on here, even had to create a new profile. Last posts I made were for my VL (8 years ago) which is now long gone. Well I'm now the proud owner of a VE Calais. I've been looking forward to this day for many years now. My question to anyone is what can the VE Color Calais stereo do? I'm wanting to keep the car as stock as possible but would love to play back movies on the screen and see if the nav system can be initiated. Seems this Calais didn't have all the bells and whistles installed in the first instance but love the car! So if anyone knows of mods or tweaks to get movies to display and get the nav system cheaply let me know. Great to be back guys!

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
There are 2 different video inputs for the Color LCD Radio, The first Input is the Composite Video (AUX) Input, with Audio.
To use this Input you will need to do two things,

1) Wire the Composite Video and Stereo Audio in to the existing plug (Or get a kit for this)...
This will allow you to play Audio and Video when you press the AUX button, BUT the video will stop being displayed when the vehicle starts
moving

2) If you want video whilst the car is moving (Forgetting about the legal ramifications here), you will need to enable the Video In Motion function.
There are a number of places that can enable this for you (Holden is NOT one of them surprisingly), from the always overpriced and expensive JHP kits $400 upwards depending on what you want), to a couple of performance places that offer a mail in option for $200 (Such as HDT Central Queensland), which is where I will be getting mine done.

There is also a an RGB input, which is used by the factory NAV system, but it needs some Single Wire Slow Can trickery to enable it, if you do not have the factory NAV system. (There is a module called the NAV Gateway, which announces on the network the Sat Nav functionality, which then enables the RGB Input...)

If you wanted to install the Factory NAV system, you will need to buy the Nav Main unit (in the glovebox), the NAV CAN gateway (Located above the passenger footwell), the required looms, and the GPS antenna.
Once you have these parts, then the factory Nav system will work, (Without any programming thankfully)....

The only other thing that the Head unit can do, which a couple of us are working on at the moment is the park assist functions,
which requires data on the SW Can to enable the display, and show the object detection stuff.....

This page has the Head Unit wiring information just in case you are interested.
www.carmodder.com • Programming the Colour LCD HVAC / Radio for the Holden VE Commodore

Cheers

robber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 06
Thanks so much for the advice Zerone_V. Im struggling to understand why such a nice stereo has such limited functionaility. I have the bluetooth installed also for my phone. Does anyone know if you can playback music on iphone 4 via the bluetooth? Thanks again guys. LOVING THE CAR!