Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve 2 ss lifter rattle

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
The 6 litre engine comes from america pre assembled but the rest of the car would have been assemble here tho

billy grunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ss
i contacted another dealer he told me to change oil again this time with mobil 5/50 or 5/30 got hold of some 5/50 mobil 1 have driven for last 5 days noise completely gone.i am glad so easy to fix

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
So what is the series 2 V8 motor, L76 or L98 and when did they change it?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
So what is the series 2 V8 motor, L76 or L98 and when did they change it?

I thought the L76 is the AFM engine in the autos from 8 -10 whenever afm came out lol and the series 2 is L77 manual or auto and everything manual up to my10 is L98, hopefully that doesnt confuse anyone lol

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
I thought the L76 is the AFM engine in the autos from 8 -10 whenever afm came out lol and the series 2 is L77 manual or auto and everything manual up to my10 is L98, hopefully that doesnt confuse anyone lol

Sorta makes sense to me lol, so a Series 2 auto made in 2010 would be L76 and a manual L77? Why the 10kw loss for the AFM motor but?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
to my knowledge thats right... but then again I could be wrong.. I'll check with the boys in the workshop.

Correction...

L77 is the new AFM running E85 (Flex Fuel) for Autos, not sure whats going into manuals, maybe L99?

Last edited:

jneil

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Alto SSVeII Redline M6
to my knowledge thats right... but then again I could be wrong.. I'll check with the boys in the workshop.

Correction...

L77 is the new AFM running E85 (Flex Fuel) for Autos, not sure whats going into manuals, maybe L99?

L77 is the new AFM running E85 (Flex Fuel) for Autos AND MANUALS in ALL Series II's!! So there should be NO L76 or L98 in any Series II. AFM is in all the L77's, so the guts of it is in the engine, just that it's deactivated in the manuals. (this is what Holden service centre told me - but often they have no clue about their own products so wouldn't surprise me if this was not 100% correct!)

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
i thought they were all L77 manual or auto

Just confirmed WogBoyz amd jneil's earlier posts... I was wrong..

All commodore, statemans series 2 V8's run the L77 engine. The only difference (as mentioned) is Autos have AFM activated while the manual doesn't. This would suggest that those engines (L77's) which haved AFM deactivated would still have DOD lifters also.