Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve 2 ss lifter rattle

billy grunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ss
my ve ss has done 5000 km and the lifters seem to rattle sometimes particulary at idle asked dealer they say that is normal it is manual so no afm anyone have same thing

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I know of it happening a few times. There are a number of other causes also - gear chatter seems to be VERY prominent in some examples (mine) - also had a p/steer pulley out of line that started to shred the belt, which made a similar noise. The fact that it happens on idle though, could be gear chatter.. it's really quite loud.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have been told the same by Holden mate, these L98's seem to be a bit noisy from what i have experienced so far.

Be rest assured though i will be making sure that it gets a complete check over by a third party long before warranty looks like running out, which for me is a lone way away yet.

Cheers.

jneil

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Alto SSVeII Redline M6
The series 2 has the L77 in manual or auto and has the AFM/DoD in the engine. It is just disabled in the manuals. I have done 8000+km so far and it is quite noisy at times. I'm hoping that some decent oil instead of whatever holden put in will fix it.

billy grunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ss
let us know how you get on and what oil you use

billy grunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ss
yeah i tried royal purple 10/40 and it made the problem a lot worse but this is a L77 engine different to L98.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
One differences between L77 and L76 is that the L77 does not have the DOD lifters like in the L76 AFM cars. The DOD lifters are designed to blead down when AFM mode is activated. They can made a slight chatter when pumping back up but normally for only a 2 ro 3 seconds. The L76 has 4 DOD lifters and 4 normal.

Not realy hearing the nosie your suffering from and for how long it goes for makes it hard to pin point. Maybe upload a sound or video file of the noise. Is it worse when the engine is hot or cold (such as first startup). I have had 3 engines relpaced in my ssv to rectify startup rattle (sounded like a captiva) till the one I have now (later model L98) seems ok. However my issues might not be the same as yours.

From what I have been advised, these engines should not make any abnomal ratteling, clucking, deisel engine type noises at all. I would persist with getting it looked at quickly an don't take the "thats normal" explanation. We have many of theses cars in our fleet and I tested 7 and none made the noise mine did.

Good luck

P.S. Changing your oil probably wont fix the issue (it may mask it) so save your money - I spent lots of money doing the same thing

wombie88

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 WM Statesman 6 litre
i just sent in my 6 litre 08 stato last monday (a week ago) with a rattling noise that sounded like a lifter - aparently i have a screwed cam shaft?!?! and that particular part has to come from america? he said it is on back order?!?! i thought statesman were 100% aussie made down to even the motor....hmm i smell something fishy he has had my car a week now and its depressing driving the missus's astra