Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2007 omega oil filter problems

SnowyGT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS-V 6.0L
Hi, ive recently serviced my 2007 omega but had a problem with changing the oil filter. I found the oil filter canister quite easy but couldn't crack it open as the previous owner has over tightened it. I've taken my car to my mechanic who told me that it's on to tight an he would probably snap the whole canister off if he tries any harder on it. I'm posting this to ask if anyone knows how much a full replacment of the oil filter canister would cost and where abouts i could get one from? Has anyone else had this problem?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
what tools have you tried?

are you using a pincher type tool where it grabs from only 2 sides, or a circular filter wrench that distributes the force around the whole thing?
obviously the mechanic knows what he's doing... but the thing needs to come off one way or another, so if it snaps it snaps. but jeez the bloody thing must be on there very tight!

another thing you can try is to spray some wd40 or lanolin around the rim and try to get the rubber to absorb it a little overnight. the main thing is to not damage the block though, because then you'll have issues with leaks later on because the new filter doesnt seal properly.

if that doesnt work, clean the filter up as much as possible with acetone... completely remove greese/oil/grime/ and then start wrapping the sucker in gaffer tape (not the plain plastic type duct tape, the material one that you need to scissors to cut) .... round and round.... nice and tight. keep wrapping until the whole filter is covered by a few layers. this will do 3 things.... protect the filter, give it a little more rigidity, and give you some more purchase to grip onto the filter good and hard with the wrench (kinda like using a teatowel to open a jar). then, position the wrench down as close as possible to the gasket (putting it up top near the knobs will only help the sucker twist and bend due to the torsional forces. the lip of the filter is quite thick... if you dont give the filter any room to twist on itself then all the better. can you get two wrenches on it? that way it spreads the force a little if you need to use a hammer on the handles?

the suckers gotta come off mate, one way or another!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Glad to say mine came off sweet as. I was anticipating a struggle after reading some of these threadss. It helped restore my confidence in my mechanic who changed it previously.
To the OP, Snowy give it a go at different temperatures, ie when engine is cold, warm, and hot after a good drive. A 400mm breaker bar and a good yank ought to get it off quick smart.

SnowyGT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS-V 6.0L
TinSnips, Yer i'm gunna take it back up to mechanic cause we tried with two people its on bloody tight we used a breaker bar with a large pipe on the end to get some more leverage but didn't help, someones put some serious effort into it.

Ufo, i think you might be thinking of older commodores oil filters.

But thanks both, see how i go.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
TinSnips, Yer i'm gunna take it back up to mechanic cause we tried with two people its on bloody tight we used a breaker bar with a large pipe on the end to get some more leverage but didn't help, someones put some serious effort into it.

The V8s still use that style filter.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Breaker bar with pipe and it still isnt budging? You sure you're going the right way? hahahaha

SnowyGT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS-V 6.0L
Had a go this morning at 5am with a bit of wd 40, 4ft pipe on a breaker bar did the trick, made a hell of a crack when she came loose, Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like the cold morning helped alot.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
did you check the threads? i woulkd think theyd be rooted being alloy and over tighted they may have binded up or cross threaded.

also check the filter house for cracks its fairly common for this to happen when theyve been overtightened.

retighten to factory specs which from memory is something like 25NM(check that though)