Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2008 strange issue with Air Con (Front Vents ON and Off)

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by VFSV6FORME, Aug 9, 2019.

1. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Is yours a series 1? My S2 Redline has one large hole.
    And the cowl above the filter housing on mine doesn't have the line of scrivets just forward of the windscreen, as shown in the pics supplied by @Fu Manchu .

2. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Yes mine is a series 1. I didn't know it was there until I reached in to check the filter and got wet fingers. Then I went feeling around and found a tiny hole blocked with dirt.

3. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
    I will look for the Holes with my new Toy thanks from ALDI, the Last tool I got from them was a IMPACT Socket rated up to 350 Nm that is handy for Wheel Nuts and other stubborn nuts and Bolts but now last week I purchased another ALDO Tool and its a Fibre Optic Camera System with a Steel 1M lead. You can get a Optional 4M lead to The Camra system cost me $69.99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS_Pete, VS 5.0 and lmoengnr like this.
  4. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    I want to get one of those to check out the oil pickup through the sump plug...

5. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    I love ALDI WORKZONE and other tools. I just about bough all of there tools in the last two years LOL. ALL for $69.95 or 9 ($70)
    [​IMG]

They went extremely quick, quicker than the Impact HD 350Nm wrench
    [​IMG]

VS_Pete and Lex like this.
  6. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    You have 5 dimmable LED on the end of it + Plenty of feature to save all the pictures on your computer via mini and standard USB

VS_Pete likes this.
  7. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    My old friend is a Mechanic and it retiring his business, he told me last weekend he had to do a 2007 Ve commodore because of a conrod bearing were gone + the Chain was shot and in the Holden Owners log book it was accurate where he change oil every 8 to 10 k the max he went for a oil and filter change was 12,500. For the first year or so after warranty was gone he used Holden Dealer Service and after this he used other other reputable service places and since his car has 165,000K something on the car why does this car need new Bearing. We all know about the timing Chain issue on LEO Engines Built between a certain date from Jan 2006 to 18 May 2007 but why is this VE stuffed when the car has been serviced correctly and only 165k on the clock and according to my friend the car is very well kept. Was the demise of the engine caused by cheap oil? (Have to ask him about the pickup)

8. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Well now you have really got me thinking!
    I've never seen that date range in connection to the timing chain issues. I think, from memory, my LEO was made about a week after the 18 th of May :) Maybe that's what's has helped me get to 270 K without any real problem. I hope you're dates are the real ones. Everyone else must be wrong!
    That looks like a decent camera too!

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  9. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    Have a look my friend , ALL about the LEO Engine. LOOK at the End of the story "LEO V6 Engine : Stretched Timing Chains) They even give you the Start to Finish or range in ENGINE NUMBERS where they had problems with the timing chains. Now if this is TRUE if buying a second hand VE keep away from VE V6's in this date ranges or Engines date ranges.
    http://australiancar.reviews/holden_LE0.php

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  10. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    A month or so later and VS_Pete is correct and the HVAC is working ok but if you disconnect the battery in the boot ( dont know how long for) then you have to re- teach the HVAC System again on what flap is doing what. The only thing that I forgot to do is take note of the amount of time the battery is disconnected in relation when you have to re-learn the system again.

11. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Could be straight away.

12. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    Just contacted Holden Stealers for a HVAC Control Module and they want $410 for it possible without tax on it. I'm willing to pay up to $280 and that is outrageous but $410 frigging dollars for it and its made in China.
    Maybe I'm unlucky as when I look to buy a Cheap VE I found 3 out of 4 to have the same problem like I have now when you turn the Fan on, or Air Condition on, the Air does not ALL the time come out of the front Vents although it selected to come out there, All other setting are fine but not the Face one.
    Out of 10 times I start the car and select the air or Air Conditioner on my Face I only have a chance of getting the correct setting about 50/50.
    I'm very surprise of not seeing more reports about this issue as originally seeing 3 out of 4 Cheap Ve's has the issue.

13. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Have you got the part number for the one you what?

14. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    I’d get one from the wreckers

15. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    No. Stupid me I had the Glove Box totally out + the side trim so you can see the Head unit + side trim for the Console on that side to do some wiring and I did see the HVAC Control Module and had the sticker with all the Part numbers and I forgot to write them Down. IDIOT!!!

I had a look at ebay for a series 1 Single ZONE and I found one that is only $50. Now It could have the same issue like mine or even worse. I will buy it today.

16. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    I will buy this one from ebay first. Lets see how lucky I am
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-...06-04-13-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13/401896439457

The funny thing with this issue is, when I wanted to buy a cheap ve I went to greys On Line behind the Brisbane Airport and I played with 4 VE there and two of them had the same issue as the VE that I bought elsewhere so there is the 3 out of 4 Ve's with the same issue that give you sometimes air on your face but works perfect on the windscreen or the foot level but yet I can see that very few have complained about this issue.

17. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    A new Learning procedure

Tried this yesterday
    1/ Lift the Bonnet
    2/ Remove the Lid of the Fuse/relay box
    3/ Find and Remove HVAC BATT fuse
    4/ Remove that fuse for 10 seconds then put it back in
    5/ Turn the Ignition on for 40 seconds
    NO MORE INFO after this either start the car or turn the Ignition Off or other. I think when it come to learning for the car the instruction I think they have let a bit out, better still not enough info.

Now after this I tried the car just by turning the ignition on about 5 times and the face worked. I then turned the Ignition on again and worked again but this time I started the car and it worked.
    Sometime the cheap VE does have air on your face but as soon as you start the engine you lose the air on your face. but sometime you turn the ignition on and you have no air on your face but as soon as you start the engine you have air on your face.
    Also now for the first time. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on I now allow the system to do a full check and when its complete I start the Car. Before I put the key in start the car immediately without the car checking anything.
    I'm willing to try any combination to see if something helps.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    Just more info regarding my VE Anniversity the Front Face vents failing 1 out of 8 times./
    If you read AutoInstruct site https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/
    you will read this:
    Common symptoms Found in AutoInstruct
    Vents stuck in a certain mode such as feet, face or demister.

WHAT ? We have 3 position not 2 (face and Feet)
    So the FACE and Feet actuator has another function and that is a Demister position on the Windscreen so that 3 position and you wonder why it forget where the positions are..
    By This my You cant remove the Arm of the Actuator 12 and lock it in the Face position because when it rains you need the windscreen to work, Gruuuuuu, (because actuator 12 control the FACE and the FEET but also controls the WIND SCREEN DEMISTER).
    If you look at the Bottom diagram and find Actuator 12 you will see 2X Face Vents but just behind them you will possible 2 Wind Screen Vents not unless they are for the FOOT but I done think so because the screen is not far from them and the foot is down and a long way away.

upload_2020-1-3_15-6-20.png
    (1) TX Valve Retaining Screws
    (2) TX Valve Upper Retaining Plastic Retaining Cover
    (3) TX Valve Insulator
    (4) TX Valve
    (5) Sealing Washer
    (6) Evaporator
    (7) Sealing Washer
    (8) TX Valve Pipe Pad Retaining Stud
    (9) Pipe Core Pipe Locating Plate
    (10) Heater Core
    (11) Heater Pipe Pass Through Seal
    (12) Face/Floor Actuator
    (13) Actuator Levers
    (14) Wiring Harness
    (15) Actuator Levers
    (16) Air Mix Actuator
    (17) HVAC Control Module
    (18) Blower Motor And Fan Assembly
    (19) Recirculation Actuator
    (20) Blower Motor Housing
    (21) Defrost Actuator
    (22) Defrost Linkage

With thanks for autoinstruct

19. mikeryantipp

mikeryantipp New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    I have a similar issue on my MY 12 VE Series 2. I find that the face vents do not always work on start up. To resolve I just make sure that when I turn off the car the air is set to blow at my feet. When I turn the car back on, I then cycle the air to blow at my face and this works as expected. I feel that it's a HVAC issue rather than actuator as it forgets where the vents are pointing.

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  20. mikeryantipp

mikeryantipp New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    I also turn the engine straight on, if that makes sense, and dont leave it in electronic on/accessory mode as this confuses it even more.

VFSV6FORME likes this.