Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2008 strange issue with Air Con (Front Vents ON and Off)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well the VE V6 Anniversary has had 22 Starts in the last week or so and The Vents on the Air Con have preformed without a issue. For the First time I can say It not repaired but we have a way of getting around this issue where when you select the FACE Vents and no air come out 1 in 5 times (sometimes worst) whenever you start the car and when you need cold air on your face NOTHING COMES OUT and this alone is very frustrating.
To Fix this issue I have used a working HVAC Module from another VE that works Perfect on that car, I also have used a Facia from the Working car that works good on the car that is effected with the face vents not working but it still fails So what I did I put the original HVAC and The Radio Facia back on and done this ::::
VE Commodore Series 1 and 2, tested on Single Zone but could work on a Dual Zone
Before you turn the car off you do.
1/ Leave the Vents Selector set to FEET ONLY, Yes Feet Only
2/ Turn the Air Con off either Hot or Cold. My VE its the middle button for series 1 Anniversary or Omega, when you turn the air con off the LED goes out.
3/ Then I turn the Fan off which seems to be the Main switch.

4/ Now the next day or later, the same day you want the use the car and the air con, so what you do when you get into the car you check to see if the vent selector is still in the position of feet only, put the keys in the ignition, start the car, start the fans on any speed you want, turn the Air Con on and finally select/change the vents from the feet to the face and you are away and when you are finished with the car dont forget to put the Vents to FEET ONLY.
Now I have to thank Member mikeryantipp as he was the one to find this combination to get this outcome as I tried at least 10 other combinations and in all case the combination FAILED but this combo leaving the Vents set to FEET ONLY its perfect to get around this issue.
After this I can put My Glove box Back. Yepeeeeee

Also Member mikeryantipp leaves the fan ON and sometime the Airc Con on Too.
The Main thing to do is LEAVE THE SELECTOR FOR THE VENT TO FEET ONLY BEFORE YOU TURN THE ENGINE OFF.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now a New update on this issue where you leave the Vent selector set at you feet so when you start it later you get air on the face after you move the selector to face.
For the first time after the Car has been doing everything correct like I start the car with the air con vents selector set at feet then select the Face then I PRESS the Air con button (LED comes on) but after a minute or so the face vents are raging but NO COLD AIR COMES OUT!!.
Now I open the Bonnet and touch the pipe that are normally cold (the bigger pipe) and I find it at normal temperature NOT cold. Hummmm and since the AirCon Compressors are not like the earlier cars with a clutch and with the clutch you can see it being engaged or not but the VE and the VF are different as the Compressors are always working but cant tell if you are compressing the gas so what I did i turned the Engine OFF and 5 seconds later I turned the Engine back on then selected the Air con back on (LED comes on) and after 10 seconds I feel cold air coming on my face and this was verified by touching the cold pipe in the Engine Bay.
Interesting!!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Now a New update on this issue where you leave the Vent selector set at you feet so when you start it later you get air on the face after you move the selector to face.
For the first time after the Car has been doing everything correct like I start the car with the air con vents selector set at feet then select the Face then I PRESS the Air con button (LED comes on) but after a minute or so the face vents are raging but NO COLD AIR COMES OUT!!.
Now I open the Bonnet and touch the pipe that are normally cold (the bigger pipe) and I find it at normal temperature NOT cold. Hummmm and since the AirCon Compressors are not like the earlier cars with a clutch and with the clutch you can see it being engaged or not but the VE and the VF are different as the Compressors are always working but cant tell if you are compressing the gas so what I did i turned the Engine OFF and 5 seconds later I turned the Engine back on then selected the Air con back on (LED comes on) and after 10 seconds I feel cold air coming on my face and this was verified by touching the cold pipe in the Engine Bay.
Interesting!!
Had our VE once in a blue moon the a/C wasn't cold. Just turned car off and restart and all good 229k now still nice and cold.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to let you all to know.
Yesterday I was at the Auctions and spotted a WM Caprice Servers 2 2012 and when I got the Keys to test it it had the SAME ISSUE with no air on your face.
Now this Caprice has touch buttons not a mechanical selector switch like the VE Anniversary that I have so after I found this on the Caprice and started it 3 times with no air on my face yet I selected Air on my Face so I tried our system and selected air on the feet and turn the car OFF then re started the engine up again and Presto it worked!! Now I have Cold air from the face Vents.
You can see that anything that is related to VE has this Air Con issue.
The Caprice was Good and I stopped bidding for it after $4600 as even then it was over the Price I wanted to pay for it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had our VE once in a blue moon the a/C wasn't cold. Just turned car off and restart and all good 229k now still nice and cold.
Does anyone knows the Principle of the Compressors on the VE with no clutch and how they turn the gas on and off?
Now this will be interesting

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wow, I think I might have one of the best VEs to come off the production line then. Air con works properly and face vents always work. Biggest issue is that cabin filter gets wet in heavy rain and then reduces air flow for a few days until it dries out. What would you do with a fourth Commodore?!?!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow, I think I might have one of the best VEs to come off the production line then. Air con works properly and face vents always work. Biggest issue is that cabin filter gets wet in heavy rain and then reduces air flow for a few days until it dries out. What would you do with a fourth Commodore?!?!
I bidded for the WH Series 2 Caprice that is in Good nick and that could have been the 3rd VE. Yes the Caprice was a good car as I tested it for one hour and only the face air con was no good. Funny thing is I'm in QLD the others two bidders are NSW and SA that gave me a hard time . They must have spotters to select a car that they want. In the last 10 seconds and after the auction was ended I bidded at least 6 times. I like the Series 2 Caprice. Yes it was a V6 (LFX Engine)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does anyone knows the Principle of the Compressors on the VE with no clutch and how they turn the gas on and off?
Now this will be interesting
No I’ve never dealt with such but a brief (but poor explanation follows:

I’m sure there are better videos explaining this but that was the first google hit I got ;)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

I’m sure there are better videos explaining this but that was the first google hit I got ;)
Its a Good one but late in the arvo its to much information. Will look for a simpler version.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Very similar to an aircraft hydraulic pump, driven by an engine, or an electric motor.