Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2010 Commodore ABS Fault

Gary860

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Wagon 2010
Several days ago, the ABS fault light and Stability Control fault came on while I was driving, my very low k's VE Wagon.
Since then, both lights come on as soon as ignition turned on. Car starts fine.
My OBD2 reader always shows NO DTC codes - even with sensors unplugged. I have seen other codes appear when my reader used on other cars.
I have read here that the rear wheel ABS sensors are the likely fault so have ordered 2 on eBay from $20 but no delivery as yet.
It is not clear from previous discussions whether their errors come up after car moves or when stationary like my problem.
Meanwhile, I have removed both rear sensors - wiring and sensors looked ok.
Other youtube videos relating to this problem explain that abs sensors should measure between 800 ohms and 2300 ohms.
Both of mine measure between 1.4M ohms and 9M ohms depending on meter polarity on pins - 4 different readings and nothing like 800 ohms ( I also used 2 meters ).
I find it difficult to imagine that both sensors failed together. How does the ABS unit test these sensors ??
Does anyone know how this ABS testing operates - maybe my ABS control unit is faulty.
Very confusing. Any ideas appreciated.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Sounds very much like what mine was doing. RACQ could not detect any faults. Ended up having to replace both sensors and harness.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
$20 ebay sensors, you may as well throw them straight in the bin, should be around $100ea
usual problem is rear harness breaks near the plug connector
why not have the car scanned , most auto parts stores will do this for a small fee

Gary860

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Wagon 2010
Earlier today I took the Commodore for a drive as it has been garaged all week.
As usual, the ABS fault lite came on with ignition, stayed on for about 200 mtrs then went off and hasn't been sighted since.
Who knows ?? Looks like it needed to drive to see wheel sensors again before fault can be reset ??
Will update if anything changes.
Thanks to guys who responded earlier.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Earlier today I took the Commodore for a drive as it has been garaged all week.
As usual, the ABS fault lite came on with ignition, stayed on for about 200 mtrs then went off and hasn't been sighted since.
Who knows ?? Looks like it needed to drive to see wheel sensors again before fault can be reset ??
Will update if anything changes.
Thanks to guys who responded earlier.

That is correct,
The VE's can do this,
I changed the front hubs on mine, and the ABS fault appeared,
During a road test, it disappeared,
When I got home and placed the Scanner on it, it had logged it not present, and it had moved it to a "History" event.

Gary860

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Wagon 2010
I have driven this car for a week now and no further ABS problems - so nothing changed and problem gone.
I have received the new $20 eBay sensors - if anyone is interested they measure OPEN in 1 direction and very high resistance ( 4M - 9M ohms ) in the other. Resistance this high can be hard to measure accurately.
Thanks to all who responded.