Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2011 CalaisV Series 2 Sportswagon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler

Sashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Series 2 Sportswagon
Hi there, We have recently purchased this vehicle to tow a small pop top caravan. I have been reading up and it appears that the recommendation is to have an auxiliary transmission cooler.
I have spoken to GMH and they have told me that there isn't even a part for it and if I wanted to get one fitted I would have to get an after market one and get some one else to fit it, as they wouldn't.
Our pop top caravan is 1556kg.
What are your thoughts? Do I or should I get one installed or not?
Thanks in advance.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How many K's has it done ? [out of interest]
As for a Trans Cooler, I am going to say that it would be a good idea for Towing a van of that weight.
Personally, have the Trans Serviced for piece of mind for your trip, because they [Trans] get forgotten about when the cars get serviced,
if you do get it serviced, get them to fit a decent one, then its all under warranty.

Sashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many K's has it done ? [out of interest]
As for a Trans Cooler, I am going to say that it would be a good idea for Towing a van of that weight.
Personally, have the Trans Serviced for piece of mind for your trip, because they [Trans] get forgotten about when the cars get serviced,
if you do get it serviced, get them to fit a decent one, then its all under warranty.
It has done 97,000 k's. Just had all fluids changed except transmission. Local mechanic didn't want to do transmission?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
yeah it says 150k for transmission but nothing's that good, get it serviced and ancillary cooler at same time, they come of the main cooler into another then return to gearbox, have seen people disconnect altogether and put a fan forced temp control one in so they dont have the risk of transcooler failure clogging radiator, what hitch do you have, one is 1600kg the other is 2100kg (both for auto) manual can only tow 1600kg (has most to do with clutch)

Sashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it says 150k for transmission but nothing's that good, get it serviced and ancillary cooler at same time, they come of the main cooler into another then return to gearbox, have seen people disconnect altogether and put a fan forced temp control one in so they dont have the risk of transcooler failure clogging radiator, what hitch do you have, one is 1600kg the other is 2100kg (both for auto) manual can only tow 1600kg (has most to do with clutch)
It has the 2100kg hitch

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Isn’t there an external cooler for VF available?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Isn’t there an external cooler for VF available?
Yes, for the Director, MSE and Magnum.
Same as HSV fits.
Pretty sure it's an option with a tow pack for V6's as well.