Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 3.0 drive belt routing. With or Without Idler Pulley

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 3.0L SIDI Sportswagon International
Hey, bought a new Tensioner with belt for this 2010 VE 3.0ltr (SIDI). It came as a kit on cheap. Installed the new tensioner and then thought I'd install the new belt as well, only it was alot shorter...pull up the haynes sure enough theres 2 routing configs, one with and without the idler pulley.
All I got in the Haynes is I - Idler (some models) - lots of information there!
Anyone got any experience with this or does anyone have a VE without an IDLER pulley?
Edit:
Gates Tensioner Pulley and Gates 2020mm belt $101.00 - Not a bad deal. I'm looking at the specs and it lists this vehicle. But the proper belt would be a 2565mm. However I attached the belt and vehicle runs fine. The idler pulley bearings are noisy, I could replace that for $50 or just ignore it completely and remove it!
Why is there 2 belt configs for this engine!

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would imagine the idler pulley allows for greater contact with the power steering and ac.
perhaps on the smaller 3.0L engines, they aren't going to slip so easy?

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 3.0L SIDI Sportswagon International
Yep. You are right. There are active (electric) power steering models, so is the idler for that model (VF). I don't think there is even a VE that takes a 2020 belt. Haynes was pretty weak on this minor detail. And these auto stores (repco, supercheap) ... SMH

Shane 3.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega sportswagon s2
Not sure if this helps, but when I purchased my belt for 3.0 Repco had to ring golden with chassis number to confirm belt as come with 2 different sizes. The belt I got was
Serpentine Belt 6PK2125RB.