Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve 3.0L new exhaust, different size?

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hi guys, i asked this question on streetcommodores but i want a few more opinions just to feel satisfied with what has happened.

Hi there,
I have a ve omega series 2. I got a xforce catback put on at an exhaust shop. I asked for a 2.25". But out of curiosity i looked under the car for model numbers on the piping to see if i got what i asked for. They put the xforce 2.5" up the front of the car to the rear axle. Then where it connects at the rear the muffler part number is 2.25". I rang them up and they said xforce had ran out of stock in Australia at the point in time and i had to wait 6 weeks. so they could not supply a complete 2.25" all the way, which i think is bullshit. They they could only supply the 2.5" center muffler/piping. Does this affect the car in a negative way as opposed to having 2.25" all the way? Do i lose power? My fuel consumption seems good at 12.31 L/100 at an average speed of 34.
I just dont want to get worse fuel economy.
Thanks

Someone said it makes no difference having a bigger center piece as the rear piping is smaller and determines flow?

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Well theoretically the gas is leaving the engine in a small pipe and then having free flow in the bigger 2.5, then being slowed at the 2.25 so it shouldnt have a negative effect as such its just the restriction is further back in the system rather than at the cats. so the only real difference would be a slight difference in the sound through the resonator in the centre section of the exhaust.

Please correct me if im wrong guys. but I couldnt imagine it having any effect at all, certainly not noticeable.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ I agree, it won't affect your car in a negative way at all, rather the opposite. By the time exhaust gas reaches axleback it suits a reduction in diameter to maintain velocity.
Some of the fastest VE/G8s run stock (2.25") axleback on their hi performance systems for that reason.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Cool guys, thanks for that, bit more relieved now. Makes sense to me when i read both posts. Thanks again!!