Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 3.45 Diff in Omega, Anyone done this?

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2009
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a 3.45 LSD diff in a Omega(Series 1 non SIDI-4 speed auto) as i have a few questions?. I've tried searching but haven't found the answers im looking for.
1. What is the cost of getting it installed professionally?
2. How short is first gear now?(From memory 1st goes to around 80kmh with standard 3.27 diff).
3. How much quicker is it to 100kmh with the new diff?.
4. Has fuel consumption changed much?. Highway driving is my main concern?.]
5. If i go with a second hand diff how many KM's should it have on it?, Does it matter? How long does a diff normally last?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anyone answer any of these questions lol?.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
Im interested in the same question for mY Berlina.
I have the additional requirement as i think it will make my planned boat easier to tow.

Not really for increased speed.

I worked it out that dropping the ratio from 3.27 -3.45 your speed previously at 110km/h will drop to 104km/h
Just to give you a highway figure so you will need to go 6ks and hour faster to have same speed.

Not a an issue i think.

Diff second hand you need luck more than Ks . Some old bloke with 100,000ks may have been kind some kid with 5000ks may have killed it so luck ....:)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Dunno about the 6's but when i did mine the speedo adjusted itself, works off the wheel sensors from memory so if it's the same setup your speedo won't alter.
As far as cost, mine cost me my time because i did it myself. If you're handy and confident with the spanners it's really not a hard job but if not, best to leave it to a pro. I went from a 2.92 single pegger to a 3.27 lsd and it was remarkable the difference it made. I recommend this mod highly.

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunno about the 6's but when i did mine the speedo adjusted itself, works off the wheel sensors from memory so if it's the same setup your speedo won't alter.
As far as cost, mine cost me my time because i did it myself. If you're handy and confident with the spanners it's really not a hard job but if not, best to leave it to a pro. I went from a 2.92 single pegger to a 3.27 lsd and it was remarkable the difference it made. I recommend this mod highly.

Thanks for your help, Could you tell me what your highway fuel consumption L/100 was like before and after the install?.
Also can you tell me if i need to buy new torque prevailing nuts?. See below from workshop manual someone posted elsewhere on the forum.

"Important: Torque prevailing nuts with are single use parts and must be discarded after removal."

Remove the propeller shaft and rubber coupling from differential flange. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement.
•Remove the propeller shaft heat shield. Refer to Exhaust Heat Shield Replacement - Center.
Important: Observe the orientation of the rubber couplings with reference to the differential flange and the transmission flange. This will minimize the potential of incorrect propeller shaft installation.
•Mark the rubber coupling (1) in relation to the differential flange (2).
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft (2).
•Remove the rubber coupling to differential flange retaining bolts (1).
Important: Observe the orientation of the rubber couplings with reference to the differential flange and the transmission flange. This recommendation will minimize the potential of incorrect propeller shaft installation.
•Mark the rubber coupling (2) in relation to the transmission flange (1).
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft.
Important: Torque prevailing nuts with are single use parts and must be discarded after removal.
•Remove the rubber coupling to transmission flange retaining bolts (1) and torque prevailing nuts (2).
Discard the nuts.
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft (2).
•Remove the centre bearing to body retaining bolts (1).
•Disconnect the propeller shaft (2) from the differential flange.
•Remove the propeller shaft (2) from the vehicle.

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anyone has a new diff professionally installed in their VE (doesn't matter which model) so i know what sort of price I'd be looking at?.

Thanks Again.

Last edited:

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm sure lots of people have installed the Diff by them self and will know the answer?.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
As I can see you are not getting really specific answers to your questions.
Call a workshop any local mechanic and get a price. You dont need a rocket scientist just a good workshop.

I just wentr next Door to Fantini Automotive (Moorebank Sydney) they are my neighbouring business.

They are 65 year old brothers. He told me 3 hours or so $250-350.

They are amazing and have been in the trade 30+ years.

So buy the diff and try it out and add to the pool of knowledge by giving your feedback.

Also when i did the speed calculation i was not conserned with the speedometer. Rather just trying to illustrate what it will do to your car. as in 104kms an hour at the same engine speed as you were doing 110km/h befor the swap 3.27---->3.45 ratio

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
As I can see you are not getting really specific answers to your questions.
Call a workshop any local mechanic and get a price. You dont need a rocket scientist just a good workshop.

I just wentr next Door to Fantini Automotive (Moorebank Sydney) they are my neighbouring business.

They are 65 year old brothers. He told me 3 hours or so $250-350.

They are amazing and have been in the trade 30+ years.

So buy the diff and try it out and add to the pool of knowledge by giving your feedback.

Also when i did the speed calculation i was not conserned with the speedometer. Rather just trying to illustrate what it will do to your car. as in 104kms an hour at the same engine speed as you were doing 110km/h befor the swap 3.27---->3.45 ratio

Wow that's dedication lol!. Thanks a lot for your help!.
So its only a few km/h therefore minimal RPM difference so shouldn't affect fuel too much(I didn't buy a VE for its good economy to begin with lol).
That price sounds reasonable i was expecting a lot more!. Once i find a reasonably priced diff i will grab it and see how it goes and put some info on the forum!.

Thanks Again!

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
lol what economy :p
Wow that's dedication lol!. Thanks a lot for your help!.
So its only a few km/h therefore minimal RPM difference so shouldn't affect fuel too much(I didn't buy a VE for its good economy to begin with lol).
That price sounds reasonable i was expecting a lot more!. Once i find a reasonably priced diff i will grab it and see how it goes and put some info on the forum!.

Thanks Again!