Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6.0 l98 timing chain tensioner broken

Michael 07 calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 Calais
Hi I have a 07 Calais 6.0l it started loosing power on and off took it to Holden dealer waste of time put scan tool on no codes . So I have taken it to a mechanic I know and he has discovered it is retarding the timing to -2 degrees and thus looses power , when you load engine up to 1500 rpm in gear it has a tiny rattle at front of engine dropped belts off still there . Has anyone had this problem ??? I have been told from another person that had this same problem it was a broken timing chain tensioner

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the tensioner can brake and the spring steel piece can fall out, i have just changed mine over after finding the spring in the sump, its best to swap to the early LS2 tensioner its a simple piece in the middle of the crank/cam gear and cant fail like the later one

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
the tensioner can brake and the spring steel piece can fall out, i have just changed mine over after finding the spring in the sump, its best to swap to the early LS2 tensioner its a simple piece in the middle of the crank/cam gear and cant fail like the later one

I know this is an old thread, but anyone got an idea of the cost just to have the tensioner replaced? I don't have any power issues but alot of metal rattling noise at low acceleration. Sounds like the chain smacking along metal

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u just have to remove timing cover then u can see if it's an issue or not, if u have the spring metal missing then u may have to remove sump also to retrieve it, then to remove tensioner may have to take off top cam gear to get it out