Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6.0L Cam and lifter failure

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by damojay, Nov 23, 2018.

1. damojay

damojay New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV II UTE
    Hi Everyone,

I have a series 2 SSV with the L77 6.0 Litre engine. It had a top end rebuild with a few upgrades in 2014, has done approx 60,000kms since.
    Here are the specs:
    Comp cams 114° lsa
    Duration @ .050" intake 224 exhaust 230
    Lift Intake .581 exhaust .588
    Morel tie bar lifters
    Stainless valves
    Double valve springs
    Chromoly pushrods
    OTR
    Pacemaker 4 into 1 Headers, 3" hi flow cats and 3" stainless cat back
    With testing and tune is making 440hp at the treads.

It suddenly developed a few symptoms, started as a lifter tick and turned into a loud squeal. I pulled the heads off to find Cam with 5 lobes badly worn and 4 lifters with excessive wear. There was a heap of carbon build up on the inlet ports of the heads and quite a bit on the valves. I'm just trying to work out where it went wrong.

The vehicle is a daily driver, it doesn't get flogged but I'm not scared to open the throttle every now and again. Has just clicked over 95,000 km's on the odometer. I've been using penrite hpr5 full synthetic.

There's a lot of variables to consider when trying find the cause. I would have thought a hydraulic roller cam and lifters would have a longer life expectancy, using quality parts. I understand the Cam profile is more on the aggressive side for a street car. Surprisingly it still has very good street manners.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    That's a small cam and lift so should be fine, maybe lifter preloaded wasn't correct. I had a ls7 lifter almost go on me on .625 lift swapped to morel towbar lifters all good.