Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6L acceleration sudden bang

Nick C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden Commodore VE SS-V Manual
Hard to Explain...

So one day I was driving and I put my car into 3rd to overtake a road train, I hit 140km/h on full throttle then a Big Bang happened, the engine slowed for a second caught back on and full power. I convinced myself it was a pothole I didn’t see.

Second time it happened was full throttle first gear, big clunk, engine gave off for a second and then its back.
The clunk so was big the dog flew off the seat like I slammed on the brakes.

It’s happened a few times now normally when it’s under a light to heavy load.

Any Ideas?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Could it be something as simple as a faulty handbrake mechanism inside the disc?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You didn't hit the limiter?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
engine gearbox mount

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Nick C nice that you live in NT where road speeds are a little more reasonable and one can stretch their cars legs so to speak. Road trains, not so much. Me, I live in a camera infested city where people are either looking at their speedo or their phone o_O

But if I though/convinced myself that I hit a pothole at 140kph, I’d be going quick smart to get wheel, tyre and alignment checked. And if nothing was found, I’d be going to a Holden service centre to ask for advice on what could cause such a bang and temporary loss of power in a manual ;)

As an FYI, my auto LS3 accelerates like crazy at close to full throttle. But when it needs to change gears, it’s like the thing goes into what seems like a 1 second one pause while the car thinks about what to do. It’s not hitting the limiter or spinning it’s wheels but likely some silly gearbox torque management ‘feature’. I’ll probably have to live with for a while as it’s still under warranty. Manuals of course shouldn’t have such a ‘feature’ so unless you are hitting the rev limiter, who knows what it is.

Just keep in mind that forums are great place to get to the bottom of some odd problem. But if the issue may be safety related (cracked/deformed wheel or damaged tyre) you may not have time to spare (especially on open roads) Do the safe thing and get it checked sooner rather than later.