Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6L V8 running on LPG.?

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
Hey I wanna know if there is anyone out there who has a VE V8 running on LPG.? how does it go with performance and economy.? I know you use it quicker then fuel but i hear the performance is better if it is directly injected into each cylinder as gas vapour. I know that LPG (Propane) is equivilant to roughly 108 octaine unleaded fuel. I have been hearing alot about that having a car running on lpg when it is direct injected, not using a thottle mixer method it is better then running on unleaded. The engine runs cleaner and injectors dont get dirty and you no longer get carbon deposits building up. so just to summerise... If i got my VE Clubby converted to run on LPG (direct injected) for $5000.00 with $3000.00 cash back from the tight arse government would it be worth it in the long run? considering it is cheaper then using 98 octaine unleaded.. and possibly better for my engine..?

cheers

Danny.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the gas isnt direct injected, its still and indirect injected system, but the one your thinking of is svi (sequential vapor injection), the new one out with really good results is lpli (liquid phase injection) this injects the fuel as a liquid, that is the best system you can get, and has more power than petrol and same economy,

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
the gas isnt direct injected, its still and indirect injected system, but the one your thinking of is svi (sequential vapor injection), the new one out with really good results is lpli (liquid phase injection) this injects the fuel as a liquid, that is the best system you can get, and has more power than petrol and same economy,

ah true as.. one gas installer told me that the Liquid Phase Injection System is the best like you say but there is one flaw with it.. the fact that it requires that gas to be in liquid form (as it is in a full gas tank) is that as you use the gas and the tank becomes empty the remaining liquid LPG depresses in the tank displacing the volume of the used gas and therefor as use get to the end of ur tank all that your able to get out of the tank is gas vapour like in the svi system..

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Had a look at the site, not much info on actual benefits. What is the current Sydney price of LPG anyway? Power increase? If anyone has this done, please let us know.:thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ah true as.. one gas installer told me that the Liquid Phase Injection System is the best like you say but there is one flaw with it.. the fact that it requires that gas to be in liquid form (as it is in a full gas tank) is that as you use the gas and the tank becomes empty the remaining liquid LPG depresses in the tank displacing the volume of the used gas and therefor as use get to the end of ur tank all that your able to get out of the tank is gas vapour like in the svi system..

that does make sense but remember the gas tank has a fuel pump in it, it actually increases the line pressure about 2 or 3 times the tank pressure? thats to keep it liquid in the lines all the way upto the injectors,

if the system did operate as above method that you wrote, it wouldnt work purely because the injectors wouldn't be able to pump out enough vapor out, remember, liquid only requires a tiny amount of gas to be injected as it vaporises and expands as it travels into the cylinder, vapor needs a large amount to be injected as its in its already expanded state

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Either SVI or LPI would work well on a Gen4. Expect a 10-15% loss in economy while running on LPG, but expect low-end torque to rise quite significantly, improving driveability. Power loss is negligible (and only experienced at high rpm speeds) with SVI but you will experience a slight power gain at all rpm speeds with LPI because of the intercooling affect on the charge air when the liquid-phase LPG is injected into the engine.

Regards,
Dave

exquisit

Reaction score
any updates on this?
has anyone installed either svi or spi on their 6L yet?