Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE aftermarket head unit

timmy975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SV6 Ute
Hey guys, Not sure if it's been mentioned before but is it possible to install an aftermarket head unit in a VE ute? Not sure if it would fit under the controls in the little slot? Any ideas would be great.
Cheers

jono0309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey timmy, I am yet to see a good install on a VE, at the moment, i have only seen glove box installs, meaning keeping the stock system in place but wiring in a aftermarket headunit in the glovebox with the original HU inactive.
I am also curious to see what companies are going to come up with considering a big number of VE owners will be wanting to replace stock.
Cheers

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You can put the headunit under the original dash if yours a UTE. I will get the link for you later on.

Only people with the sedan put the unit in the glove box because there is an a/c pipe that goes to the back vent.

timmy975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SV6 Ute
^^Looking forward to that link, Thanks. I have spoke to a couple of shops and they have told me no. Not sure if they are being lazy or if they just don't want to touch it. I'm sick of poor quality CD sound through the original head unit with a quality after market sound setup. Just need the head unit installed. Cheers

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
BTW timmy where are you from? Why don't you do it your self??

timmy975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SV6 Ute
Melbourne.
I just had a quick look, that install looks good. I just looked at mine and is that plastic duct behind that pocket for the rear A/C?? Can I just chop that?? Any ideas of how to remov the dash??
Cheers

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Damn.. if you were in Sydney i wouldn't mind helping you with this install. I don't think you have a rear A/C.... you said you got a ute right???

timmy975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SV6 Ute
^^ Correct. Thanks for the offer.
There is a square plastic duct that runs from behind that pocket to what looks like the cup holder area. Not sure if that is used in the sedans for rear a/c but it looks like it just goes to nothing in the ute??

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Then i say do it man!!! Have you installed an aftermarket HU to any other car before??
If YES then this will be the same but you will need to make your own brackets that's all.

If you decide to do it, a write up would be cool. I really want to do this but i'm scared that when summer hits (haven't had the car during summer yet) my back passengers might complain like a B*tch if there is no A/C. But then again they can put the windows down.