Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Aftermarket Headunit - Cant find on forums

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I've been thinking of getting a VE SV6 or Omega..........

I've currently got a VZ with everything done to it. But my worry is the VE's and their headunit options. Atm I run a Kenwood single dinn head unit with 2 amps and a farad. one amp runs the door speakers, the other the subs.

What are my options on the VE's? ..... I've been looking around etc, doesn't seem like you can remove the stock unit due to the various functions it performs for the car such as climate control?

My second thought was to mount my existing headunit maybe under the bottom between the standard facia stuff and the gearstick as there's a pocket there? and just run it into the door speakers etc.

What have others done? I'd really love to keep my current headunit cause it matches with all my other gear.

Idea's?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I haven't bothered looking at what the layout is with the latest line of VE's, but if your thinking of purchasing earlier SV6 or Omega's, your not going to have much joy I'm afraid, it's all one huge chunk, I've never worked out why somebody in Holden said "Hey, you know what, guys will NEVER want to replace the head unit, so lets just stick it with the aircon as well".
I did replace mine with a SSV head unit, so has a screen interface, but the sound improvement came from replacing the speakers and getting the amps fitted. I got lucky with the SSV and purchased it for 600 bucks, I think they go for at least double that these days.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
How did you run amps off the SSV headunit you got? ...... do they have aux outs or did you have something rigged off the speaker outs?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I got the installer to do it for me, apparently it's a supreme pain in the but to do in a VE, cause when I told him what model car it was, he groaned a bit. With the VY, he had no drama. I'll take another look at the amp, cause I can't remember what exactly he told me he was doing, mainly cause the conversation was getting a bit dragged out and I started day dreaming. The amp (Kicker) is in the boot , attached to the rear seat wall, with plans for a sub at a later stage.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Most likely he would have wired Line Out Converters into the back of the head unit, I just had amp / speakers / sub upgrade done on my SV6 a couple days ago, onto the stock HU, the installer wired LOC's onto the speaker outputs which converts it to a low level RCA, which in turn plugs straight up to the amp.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Or use the high level outs from the standard head unit into an amp with built in converter.

But yes, long story very short.... VERY limited options to aftermarket head unit in VE's. If you really want to use your current gear, run it all seperately. Install headunit in glovebox (or whereever) and install new speaker wiring to all doors. Leave factory crap in there so later on upon resale you can take out your old gear and still have a functioning stock headunit.

Everything with audio upgrades and VE's is much more complicated and expensive. Steering wheel controls, iPod connectivity, vehicle security and climate control.... everything is all linked and very hard to get using aftermarket.

There are PLENTY of threads in the audio section about this, so search again if you want more detail.