Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE alloytec evap purge valve solenoid

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Hey guys

I have a 2007 my08 alloytec ve commodore. Just recently I could hear an audiable ticking noise while the car is idling. It's loud enough to hear with the bonnet down and standing at the drivers door however you can't hear it from inside the cabin

I have investigated the noise and done some research and have narrowed it down to the evaporation purge valve solenoid located passenger side rear of intake manifold. I did some research and some ppl state it's meant to tick but until recently I haven't heard it before. Some people say to check if it's working is to remove the valve and blow in the opposite direction on the air flow. It shouldn't let any air through. My lets air through.

Before I go buy one can people with alloytec tell me if theirs ticks and if you have time remove and blow into the valve to see if it does let it through.

Besides the ticking the car runs fine and doesn't throw any codes.

Thank guys in advance for the help.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Iv ordered a new solenoid from holden for $80. Before I fork the cash out can anyone tell me if theirs has a constant loud ticking sounds. I plugged the scanner in and it should the solenoid closed at idle but the loud ticking still present.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Yeah mate mine ticks I know heaps of peoples that ticks, it's a very common thing but I haven't heard about it doing any damage so I wouldn't bother. PS mines been ticking randomly at idle for the past 2 years, still going strong!

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Just an update. Purchased a new evap valve from holden for $70. The ticking sound has disappeared now. When I bought the new valve I wasn't able to blow through in the opposite direction where as in the old one I could. Will see if it affects fuel economy over the next few weeks.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Invaluable info, thanks, will change mine.

I've noticed mine ticks like hell at idle, then goes away for a few seconds when revving a bit, then comes back... Doesn't affect my idle too much for now but it has for a short instant the other day, just revved a bit and the idle was back to normal, but I'm pretty sure this was linked and my solenoid is on its way out.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Invaluable info, thanks, will change mine.

I've noticed mine ticks like hell at idle, then goes away for a few seconds when revving a bit, then comes back... Doesn't affect my idle too much for now but it has for a short instant the other day, just revved a bit and the idle was back to normal, but I'm pretty sure this was linked and my solenoid is on its way out.

Just bumping this, as i notice mine ticks during idle as well. Did you find any more about this? Did your fuel effeciency rise? I have no idea what this does :)

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Just bumping this, as i notice mine ticks during idle as well. Did you find any more about this? Did your fuel effeciency rise? I have no idea what this does :)

It recycles the fuel vapors from the tank into the intake, I'm not sure you would see any change in fuel efficiency but a dead solenoid could cause cranking issues after refueling.

I ended up changing my solenoid, no more clicking!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
It recycles the fuel vapors from the tank into the intake, I'm not sure you would see any change in fuel efficiency but a dead solenoid could cause cranking issues after refueling.

I ended up changing my solenoid, no more clicking!

Did it give any petrol smell when it was worn?
Now and then i get the smell i thought i was running rich, changed exhaust cause it had leaks, 02 sensors seem to be good by my mechanic? Might look into replacing this next

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Did it give any petrol smell when it was worn?
Now and then i get the smell i thought i was running rich, changed exhaust cause it had leaks, 02 sensors seem to be good by my mechanic? Might look into replacing this next

Nope, no petrol smell, even tho I run a bit too rich according to my fuel trims, not sure if my O2 sensors are a bit worn or if the OTR is messing with the MAF. Probably a bit of both, I guess it will be sorted out once I get a tune.