Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve alloytec EXTREMLY SLUGGISH up hills

Shaneo4dayz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
hey I need some help or advice my partners ve alloytec commodore (omega) automatic has 20s and a 2.5” drop has roughly 250ks on it.... it’s extremly sluuggish up hills it bogs down and the revs drop but it doesn’t click back gears it’s not fast it struggles to get above 80-90 and hills r even more of a struggle.... is it the wheels.... does the box need attention..... no engine code are up just runs like a pig and smells rich

Shaneo4dayz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I plan on doin a service today on it was gonna do fuel filter air filter oil filter.....

Also could it be the breather hose cussing this issue... if so where is this troublesome breather hose n wat do I need to do to it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the transmission oil level.
Not easy to do on VE because there’s no dip stick. Have to get under the car and remove a rubber plug on the drivers side just above the pan.

There’s plenty of YouTube vids from professionals that show how.

Wheels play no ‘roll’ in this issue.

What are the plugs and coils like?

Happens when the car has to work hard so start with basic serviceable items as commy VK mentioned.

Check plugs and coils next because they are fairly easily serviceable with a small cost involved.

Then get fuel pressure and injectors checked by a mechanic with the right equipment.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Probably time to replace the oxy sensors as well.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was watching this the other day. This guy is a good teacher who explains the process of diagnosis well. He hates parts swapping.

Low power, no codes = (in this case and in my car it was the same) blocked cats.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
It sounds like you're describing a situation where the kickdown doesn't work?

What happens if you stop halfway up the hill and then take off again with accelerator on or close to floor - that should see you in a lower gear (unless it changes up inappropriately)

Then:
- If it goes up the hill alright once in lower gear kickdown might be the problem
- If its still no good then heaps of possibilities.

Running rich (if it really is) suggests too little air (blocked filter) or too much fuel (?oxy sensor) or not burning fuel (?coils/plugs)

Although a lot of cars at this age might have a worn out fuel pump or blocked filter and so be running lean...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It sounds like you're describing a situation where the kickdown doesn't work?

No kickdown cables, these are totally electronic, last Commodore to use a kickdown cable was the VP.