Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Alloytec Start Up Noise Woes

Peter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytec
I've got a similar issue to others reported here but as yet unable to find any solid answers other than one user saying replace oil pump.

My VE makes the same noise as video link and idle drops and comes back a few times within 3-4 seconds all whilst making this sound the whole time (3-4seconds).

Mine has fresh 5W-30 in it which seemed to decrease the amount it happens, now its like a random cold start draw where most of the time it will do it but sometimes magically it wont.

No codes shown
I cant see how checking/cleaning oil pickup will fix as a sludged up or blocked pickup should cause dramas all the time not just start up?
Oil pump would cause it to throw a code for low pressure would it not?
Are chain tensioners hydraulic? Its a long shot but seems as though chains are lose and timing goes out a touch at this point on cold start - hence the idle drop and then its comes good.

Any help would be great as this surely cant be an Alloytec trait we are supposed to live with. I get cringes from people in the carpark when I start up sometimes.

Pete.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
timing chains

Very common in early alloytecs - unfortunately not a cheap fix either

Looking anywhere from 1500 onwards - may find it cheaper depending on how hard you look :)

Peter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytec
Its a 2010 model, I was under the impression the timing chain issues were rectified by this build date?

Also read a lot of posts where people have had chains done only to still have the noise.

Ideally I dont want to throw money at hypotheticals :(

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That chattering noise is not normal.
I've not seen them myself but apparently the tensioners are hydraulic so rely on oil pressure before they tighten up the chain that's why the noise is worse at start up until oil pressure climbs enough to stop the noise.
A blocked pickup will make all this worse and delay oil pressure at startup.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Can be the tensioners or Guide. But if you are going to go that far you are better off changing the chains as well.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Its a 2010 model, I was under the impression the timing chain issues were rectified by this build date?

Also read a lot of posts where people have had chains done only to still have the noise.

There is a software update that can be preformed, but I believe that'll only be of use to you if your vehicle is throwing up a fault code

It was very common for VE's fitted with earlier variants of the alloytec engine to have timing chain issues but unfortunately later models are not immune either

Dynamic Dazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Wagon

So did I but 12months ago I had the timing chain replaced in my 2012 then last month the engine completely seized requiring a new VF engine

Peter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytec
None of this sounds promising for the motor.

I can update on when symptoms occur. Recently worked out if nose is pointing downhill (ie driveway or hill when parked) no noises on start up, on flat its hit and miss on when it happens. Nose in the air (ie parked up a driveway or hill nose facing up) it gets a terrible rattle and takes long for it to stop, found the other day on a very steep hill it wouldn't stop and sent it into Check Engine mode on dash.

Is pickup in the front of the sump by any chance? Almost feel likes quoted engine oil quantities aren't enough and its sucking air??

Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Google Alloytec sump for a picture. Pickup will be in the deep area.
Interesting about the slope changing the noise I'm going to see if mine does the same.
I assume your oil level is full?
Some guys have found the o-ring seal between the pickup pipe and engine falls apart and the pickup looses suction, that might be your issue??

Peter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Alloytec
Google Alloytec sump for a picture. Pickup will be in the deep area.
Interesting about the slope changing the noise I'm going to see if mine does the same.
I assume your oil level is full?
Some guys have found the o-ring seal between the pickup pipe and engine falls apart and the pickup looses suction, that might be your issue??

Yes fresh oil and full.
Be interesting to hear back if yours does similar.
Think I'll tackle sump off when I get a moment this week - check out this o-ring and also for blockages of pickup.

Cheers