Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Alloytec Start Up Noise Woes

aussiebrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
thanks for the reply guys appreciate it i am going to change the oil pickup o-ring tomorrow.
and i have a feeling that it's the problem will keep you posted.
If it is not that i have a feeling that it may be the oil pump.
Hey @adamoz, Did you get any further with this? I have exactly the same problem. Cold starts only. Starts and sounds OK then after 2 seconds it shudders and struggles for a second or two before returning to normal. I felt it was some kind of oil related problem as well and found myself here researching. Let us know if you found any sort of solution.

Shaneeex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 SV6
Hey @adamoz, Did you get any further with this? I have exactly the same problem. Cold starts only. Starts and sounds OK then after 2 seconds it shudders and struggles for a second or two before returning to normal. I felt it was some kind of oil related problem as well and found myself here researching. Let us know if you found any sort of solution.

Hey mate @adamoz , contacted me about it and he got through to doing it, he said that it solves the issue, however it is a mission to do.

adamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve ly7
@aussiebrian yeah mate the o-ring fixed the issue, make sure you give the pick up screen in the sump a good clean as there were derbies of old rtv stuck to it. (I done an engine flush just before job)
i used black rtv to seal the sump again, the harmonic balancer was a pain in the ass as it needs to come just about all of the way off as there is 1 bolt that has to come out from the sump but all in all glad i did it.
I didnt have to take the k-frame out and or lift the engine, i was able to leaver the sump off , car ramps helped a lot

Cheers
Adam

Ole_China

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6l Alloytec
thanks for the reply guys appreciate it i am going to change the oil pickup o-ring tomorrow.
and i have a feeling that it's the problem will keep you posted.
If it is not that i have a feeling that it may be the oil pump.
(just bought the car) now old mate that i bought it off is not returning calls... wife loves the car im on the fence . seems like its going to be a money pit chains were just done as i have the recipts as well as a rebuild of the gear box. thanks again sorry for digging up an old thread.

If it is the oil pump, and I can't confirm as I'm not familiar with that noise, it's only $100 ish from mace but you have to pull the whole motor apart to get to it. If the timing chains have never been done, I'd fork out the extra $550 and do the chains as well, because it's a big job.

adamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve ly7
@Ole_China glad it was the $30 o-ring mate as i was thinking it was the oil pump .. what a nightmare that would be to do

gunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Berlina sports
mine has just started making the same noise on start up. did anyone find an answer?

gunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Berlina sports
just had my timing chains done at Rev High Hallam, they had been done before but with cheap Chinese ones. The noise was the cam variators

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
My 2008 VE Anniversity does the same noise only for 1 to 2 seconds ONLY then stops, Now this is the condition when this happens.
1/ Once a Day, not ever day early in the morning even if I start the car 5 times a day the other 4 time its quiet
2/ some time it goes to 5 days with any noise
3/ Mostly the noise appears about 4 to 5 days ONLY on the first start.
5/ Sometime the car is still, not started the engine for 7 to 10 days then I start the car and NOTHING so work that out.

You can see my one is not as bad as others but whatever happens the rattling noise like a noise like a chain hittling the alloy case only make a noise for 1 to 2 seconds and that it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My 2008 VE Anniversity does the same noise only for 1 to 2 seconds.
You can see my one is not as bad as others but whatever happens the rattling noise like a noise like a chain hittling the alloy case only make a noise for 1 to 2 seconds and that it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite!!
Your noise sounds the same as mine and many others on here.
I would call this normal if it disappears after 1 or 2 seconds as oil pressure builds up to the chain tensioners. It is hard to remember but I think my car has made the same noise since I bought it ten years ago and has not become any worse and never had a timing chain issue.
If the noise continues for longer or gets louder like in this thread instead of going quiet then you have oil pressure problems.
I would still like to open my engine up for the first time, with almost 300,000km on it replace the o ring just for peace of mind but I don't think it's really necessary yet. If my balancer explodes I will pull the sump off then.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yeah strange thing is sometime I start it when the car has been sitting still for a full week sometime more in the garage with the doors CLOSED ( should be worse to hear the noise) and yet it make no noise at all but out of the blue I start the car with the Doors open or Closed after 3 to 4 days and it rattles for a second or two. Personally I think that the chain tensioner teeth/ratchet jump back a tooth or so back so the chain is loose until oil pressure is up.