Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Amp install question

SimonH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, 6.0 V8
I have a 5 channel Cadence Q5000A amp that I currently have running a sub only at the moment.

The way I currently have it running is I have tapped into the rear speaker wire that was going to the original amp that drove the parcel shelf 'subs' (I have unplugged the amp, so they are not doing anything at the moment), and hooked that into the amp speaker level inputs. The amp has a switch that can change between 2, 4 or 5 channel input, at the moment I have it set at 2 channel and it is driving the sub without issue, when I get some time I will be running wires to drive the front and rear speakers as well, my question is, is there any point me tapping into the front speaker wire output from the headunit and running it to the amp? I am under the impression that the signal will be exactly the same as the rear speaker wire I am hooking into. I understand I wont have the option to adjust the fader on the head unit anymore, but that doesn't worry me..

Am I being lazy? should I just run it, or would I be wasting my time and speaker wire running it to the amp and back from the front speakers.

If it makes a difference fronts are Hertz DSK165.3 and the rears are currently stock but I will put some cheap pioneers coax's that I have in the garage (unused).

Additionally, my sub is a cheap kenwood (200wrms) that sounds fairly muddy and doesn't really impress me, what would be a good sub for me if I was to upgrade (on a budget)... I listen to a wide variety of music but favor hard rock/heavy metal and I do like my bass...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Lol, yes your being lazy. Run the extra pair.

Entry level clarion goes well. Normally id say get/build a box but that kenwood just has no hope.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
The other thing to consider is sometimes you'd want to fade forward (like with bluetooth to the front driver speaker only) and if you have parking sensors, that automatically sends audio to front and rear speakers, so if you have front sensors, and only use the rear outputs, when youre reversing you will get beeping from all 4, and when youre parking forward, no beeping at all.

SimonH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, 6.0 V8
Good points (especially the parking sensor issue) thank you.

If I wanted to spend a bit more on the sub and got something like a alpine type r or equivalently priced (200 - 250) (I feel like I am paying more for the name than the sub with alpine.) Would I really hear a big difference? Should I build a sealed box myself or buy a ported box, what's better for quick punchy bass?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I agree with You about Alpine.

Buying a sub and putting it in a box is ok, buying a sub in specially designed box is great for ease and sound quality usually. Buying a sub and#building#a box to suit your dimensions and sound requirements is awesome.

In your instance... well. Perhaps a sub in a specifically designed box would be your best bet... probably cheaper than building your own

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Forgot your last question. Quick punchy bass is best from a sealed enclosure. But it needs more power and is not as capable of lower frequencies. But will typically have better sound quality.

SimonH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, 6.0 V8
OK I realise this is off the original topic but.. Something like this Rockford Fosgate p2d2 it's 2ohm so it will receive more power from the amp which is a good thing right? Is my reasoning of more power = more boom wrong? RF are a pretty well respected brand so the quality of the boom should be decent right?

SimonH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, 6.0 V8
OK I realise this is off the original topic but.. Something like this Rockford Fosgate p2d2 it's 2ohm so it will receive more power from the amp which is a good thing right? Is my reasoning of more power = more boom wrong? RF are a pretty well respected brand so the quality of the boom should be decent right?

Or This

same deal good brand, 2ohm.. but this one comes with a nice enclosure..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
My money would be on the Polk for sound quality everytime. Nothing wrong with the RF... I just like Polk. My Berlina is loaded with NOS 15 year old Polk components in the front and rear doors powered by almost as old PPI amplifiers

SimonH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, 6.0 V8
Thanks for the advice, I bit the bullet and bought the Polk db1212. Received it this afternoon, I have installed it but haven't had a chance to have a good play with it.. Much more powerful than my crappy Kenwood at first listen..