Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE audio mod

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
recently i the upgraded the speaker, however the sound quality doesn't much improve, do i have to install the amplifier as well????

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Which brand of speakers did you change too mate ? As im thinking of upgrading the speakers in my ve aswell.

Do the speakers you installed sound more clear compared to the stock speakers ?

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Changing speaker brands won't make the speakers any louder because they still only have the same wattage coming out of the head unit to feed them. You could get improved clarity but really, if you want a good quality sound and increased volume you need to set up an amp.
edit: Actually to be honest sometimes upgrading speakers but just running them off a head unit, without an amp, can actually give you worse sound quality. I'm not sure about the VE head unit, but most head units put out around 40-55W. If you're speakers say they are 120W or something like that, that means that is the amount of power they want fed to them, not the amount of power they produce. So those speakers are optimised to perform with a wattage equal to that, despite what dodgy car audio salesmen try to tell you.

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
i upgraded with Alpine type R, it does sounds a bit better tho less noise/buzz compare with factor speaker, but it doesn't sounds like it improve a lot, so I'm thinking i should install a amplifier to see if it makes any difference.
I would recommend you to ask so pros before purchase mate, that way save you a lot and get what you desire.

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
yea~you are right mate, brought the speaker with 300w,but with factory head unit, it doesn't give me a lot different than factory speaker, I'm gonna install a 4 way amps, hope it could makes huge different. thanks for your advise, it helps me a lot

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
i upgraded with Alpine type R, it does sounds a bit better tho less noise/buzz compare with factor speaker, but it doesn't sounds like it improve a lot, so I'm thinking i should install a amplifier to see if it makes any difference.
I would recommend you to ask so pros before purchase mate, that way save you a lot and get what you desire.

I was thinking of upgradng the front speakers to apline type r crossover system and the rear with normal alpine type r. Did you use those speakers mate ?

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
Just as long as you realize that no matter what amp you get you will have no low end (bass) it will sound better but will only have mid and hi

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Those speakers really need to be run from an amp to see any results.

Then dynamat the doors!

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Those speakers really need to be run from an amp to see any results.

Then dynamat the doors!

Agreed, top advice.

I tried the speakers before I had the amp installed and there is a huge difference. You will notice and love them once you've had an amp installed...

Dynamat! Bloody dynamat everything, you will hear almost no road noise and on the SSV head unit the speakers will smash your ears at 20(thing goes up to something like 60)

Lowerd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Ute
When I got my SSV ute I put in a set of Pioneer TS- 1720, whilst it still sounded better than the stock items it was rubbish. Recently got around to wiring in an amp just using Hi-Level signal and they haul now, so clear and punchy. looking at dynamat next just to improve low end bass as sitting still it;s good but once driving it lacks a little.