Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE battery drain issue.

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I read about this before I got the car.. and it looks like I have the VE battery drain problem that some VE's are prone to..I have only had the car a couple of weeks..no problem until I left it 2 or 3 days..no go..jump started it and went for a spin..started fine after an hour...but tried it this morning and again..no go..
I have done all the correct warranty change over info..so hopefully Holden should do the fix...just wondering if anyone else has had this and can give me any feedback on getting the fix done...I had a look at the battery...and couldnt see how it comes out..looks to big for the hole..not to metion all the "bits" all around it..anyone know how to remove/replace it?

Cheers.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i had an issue with my other VE, it didn't go flat, but it was sluggish starting once or twice after sitting for a few days. The problem arose because it's parked under a carport and the car was unlocked and locked quite a few times... of course the "approach" timer was set at 1 minute...... i changed it back to 30 seconds so the headlights woldn't drain the battery as much.

Gadget3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
My VE is a sept 06 and has been back to the dealer twice with the battery issue. Apparently there is a software mod that fixes it but it took two gos to get it so I could gtee it would start. On thursday night I left the parkers on for 3.5 hrs and had to get the RACV to start it. Looked at it today and the problem is :
1..the battery is nearing its end of life
2.. the battery is not kept fully charged

Holden need to fix this issue. Everyone I know with a VE has had a battery problem that has stopped them. Just dumb!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I read about this before I got the car.. and it looks like I have the VE battery drain problem that some VE's are prone to..I have only had the car a couple of weeks..no problem until I left it 2 or 3 days..no go..jump started it and went for a spin..started fine after an hour...but tried it this morning and again..no go..
I have done all the correct warranty change over info..so hopefully Holden should do the fix...just wondering if anyone else has had this and can give me any feedback on getting the fix done...I had a look at the battery...and couldnt see how it comes out..looks to big for the hole..not to metion all the "bits" all around it..anyone know how to remove/replace it?

Cheers.

If you want to remove the battery yourself you will need to do the following.

Along the bottom of inside of the boot lip, the plastic trim piece has to be removed. This is done by removing the four screw in clips which hold the luggage net in. On some of the earlier models there are plastic scrivets on the bottom two holes which can be prised out with a screwdriver or similar trim removal tool.

Once these clips are out, firmly pull the trim piece upwards. It has 4 or 5 clips on the inside which hold it on which are the hold you are trying to break, be firm, but ofcourse, if it feels like it's going to break, stop and reasses it.

Once this piece is out, you can move onto the side, felt trim. There are three christmas tree type scrivets which are removed, again, with a screwdriver or trim tool.

Once these are out, the felt trim will be able to be pulled back.

The battery can then removed by undoing the retaining clamp.

Hope this helps

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
fixed??...time will tell

I took the car to my holden dealer today (I was impressed they could look at it the day after I rang)..they seemed to have delt with the issue before and knew when I told them about the fault..when I picked the car up...the service person said they recalabrated the software and charged up the battery...although I was happy..from what they said...I wasnt completly convinced that the problem was 100% fixed...I guess time will tell..

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
how long ?

about 4 days....... but like i said, it was unlocked and locked a few times in that period. The approach timer and egress timer was set for 1 minute so the headlights were on for 2 minutes each time.

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
oh no!

After a few days with no problem..same thing happened..no start..once I jump start it..seems ok..its going back to Holden tomorrow.

I did a bit of searching and found a big thread on the LS1 forum about this problem..seems to be a major issue that Holden are not addressing in the right way.
I will see how I go tomorrow..but I am thinking that it is going to be very important to find a dealer or other service person that knows thier way around the VE electrics..from what Im reading..its very hit and miss.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the computer fix i believe was a different alternator charging output, ie they upped the output amps, there was also the rear seat enternainment was drawing current in the early ones, i believe there is a fix for that,

just out of curiosity, to the guys with the battery going flat, what aftermarket electrical accessories do you have and what signal wire are you using and where is your power source from?

cheers