Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Battery Issue

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
ThanX to all for replies...seems the battery was too flat to use the old Arlec charger I had...hooked it up and needle went all the way across the meter to 8Amps...then flickered up and down between 4A and 8A - then shut down to zero. Went through that process repeatedly with about 25 seconds delay from stopping to restart.
Am guessing that full charge was needed to charge battery...but it was too much for the charger to safely supply [??]
Hooked up my VX and used jumper leads onto engine bay terminals...VE started 2nd turn over. Checked output with multimeter...was showing 14.2v...guessed [more hoped really...] that alternator was working as it should...took my second key with me and went for a drive; intending to see local autoelec leave car running and lock doors with second key...they must all be rich...none open at 2.30 pm Friday, so I decided to take it for a run to next town see Mechanic there who's done work on my cars before.
End result...yes battery was low...but the 12 km drive had charged it some...the alternator was putting out a decent voltage...hope was that all would be right. He agreed my guess that mucking around with key fobs...I had unlocked the boot...the bootlight did come on...and I hadn't noticed...so car sat for about 40 hours with boot light on and that caused the flat battery. [Really? Just a little 5 CP globe?]
Tested when I got back home...lowered centre rear swab seat. Locked car....opened doors and boot with remote [I have car set to light proximity lights for 15 seconds when car locked/unlocked... boot, front and rear lights came, then latter 2 turned off as they should, but boot light remained on...even tho boot lid was not lifted at all...just unlocked.

It looks like that was the cause of the [overly] flat battery. If further issues...will edit post; thanks to all...