Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Battey damas and Warranty ?

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
Hi woke this morning to find 2008 Calais V, V6 not starting.
Seemed to look like flat battery. Noticed the check engine lamp flashing quickly as if it was strobing.
I recall last night using the stereo whilst cleaning the interior of car, but no doors were left open overnight, and no keys left in the ignition. ( many months ago had found the Engineering mode, and one of the datas was Battery life = 54%......didn't think anything of it at the time.

1)-Should a battery die which is just over 2 years old ?
2)-If the battery is gone, as understand its a cranking battery and they don't like to be drained and fully discharged, would Holden cover it under new car warranty ? (Vehicle is still under warranty till later 2011)

rang holden Assit and although the plan had lapsed (assume from the original owner) they did state that as the car is under warranty and that it had been serviced by Holden within last 12 months, they would come out, to see what problem? or maybe jump start? or of needed they could organize a tow to nearest Holden dealer within 20km from location.

3)Has anyone used Holden Assit? would this be a chargeable visit.
4) If take this option and jump start, assume it startrs, what should do? take to Dealer for check? and if so i assume they will charge, or investigate to quotes to get a replacement battery?

5)Noticed that the current battery has some tubing, overflow nipple etc, assume for acids etc, so if looking to replace battery, assume we have to source once that is same ? Whats this overflow called?
anyone know the capacities of the existing Batteries to be used for 2008 VE V6 models?

6) Assuming the car i stil under warranty, if you replaced a anew battery from 3rd party, would that void the new car warranty from Holden? how to deal with this to maintain or not void car warranty?

thanks all

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
oooops clearly my speling if off on post title , but cant edit that now

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
dont turn the car off if you jump start, as the car will not charge unless on a battery charger.

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
further update, had NRMA come out and they jump start.
Been couple of days of normal driving. No flat battery since.

Went into Engineering mode to check, and the Battery Voltage (whilst driving) varies 12.8 - 12.9 V ...is this normal range? what would be normal range?
Also in Engineering mode, the other Battery health or Battery charge(don't remember the exact label) states now 100%
Anyone know if this is really accurate? or just some mathematical formula in the computer to calculate this ?

Was told by NRMA guys that the Batteries in VE ranges are Calcium based, so you cannot use normal car chargers on them, but rather need newer electronic chargers that specifically state they also carter for Calcium batteries. Specifically he recommended the CTEK brand of battery charges.
Also NRMA guy mentioned, that when have flat battery, that even jump starting or and then even going for long drives, yes increases the charge of the battery, but it will never really charge it up back to full, and hence need to go to proper charging service or use such 3rd party charges such as CTEK to charge it fully again..........fine this makes sense, but my confusion is in the Engineering mode as mentioned above, states Battery charge at 100%

Anyone have any insight or knowledge ?
thanks

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
ctek cargers a brilliant but expensive.
the nrma guy is riigh the battery will not full recover just driving the car

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I left the VE at the airport for 3 days, and returned to find it flat as a tack.
The AANT guy who came to jump start said it was a common problem in the VE's something about a computer still running. Couldn't give me any insight into WHAT computer , or how not to let it drain the battery.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Mine was flat dismorning had to get jumped, pretty sure im having that problem with the bcm or whatever its called, cus soon as i let it sit for 9- 12hrs the battery saver mode comes up, but just driving to work and back it doesnt come on, only when i go to start it again in the morning, the RACQ guy said my batt is fine and my alt is working

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp